2012 Tahoe Automatic Door Locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the lock button on one of the front doors being pressed everytime she exits the vehicle? Pressing that button will auto-lock the doors after a few seconds however I thought this only happens after the keys are no longer in close proximity...

I'm pretty sure she's not pressing the lock button ... but your comment about "the keys are no longer in close proximity" is interesting, because on Sunday, I left the keys on the center console and left the car. When I came back 20 minutes later, expecting to find all the doors locked, I was pleasantly surprised to find they we NOT locked! Can you elaborate on your comment?

I thought their was an OnStar app for iphone/android that will allow you to unlock your car on the newer '11+ vehicles? If you do have OnStar, I'd say that's the best route for quickest unlock.

Her 6-month free subscription to OnStar has expired, so that's not really an option.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter bought a 2012 Tahoe and she has already locked her keys in the vehicle once because apparently when the last door is closed, the locks automatically engage within seconds. Having Onstar unlock the vehicle, or carrying a spare key, shouldn't be the only way to stop this from happening.

I downloaded the owner's manual, but after reading the section on DIC, it doesn't appear that this "automatic locking when the last door is closed" is a feature that can be disabled!

Have I missed something that can be changed by an owner? or is this something that only a dealer can reprogram? or is this something that NO ONE CAN DISABLE?

Thanks in advance for any help ... my daughter lives nearly 5 hours away, so keeping a spare key and driving to her place to unlock her car isn't really an alternative!

P.S. Being new to this site, I wasn't sure which forum I should post this question in ... so, if an administrator thinks it will get better responses in another forum, please move it for me.

It sounds as though she has the Delayed Locking feature on. When locking the doors with the power lock switch and a door or the liftgate is open, the doors will lock five seconds after the last door is closed. You will hear three chimes to signal that the delayed locking feature is in use.

Pressing the power lock switch twice will override the delayed locking feature and immediately lock all the doors. This feature will not operate if the key is in the ignition. You can program this feature using the Driver Information Center (DIC).

To customize the feature:

Press the customization button until DELAY DOOR LOCK appears on the DIC display. Press the set/reset button once to access the settings for this feature. Then press the customization button to scroll through the following settings:

OFF: There will be no delayed locking of the vehicle's doors.

ON (default): The doors will not lock until 5 seconds after the last door or the liftgate is closed.

NO CHANGE: No change will be made to this feature. The current setting will remain.

To select a setting, press the set/reset button while the desired setting is displayed on the DIC.

For your reference, this information is also available on pages 2-8 and 5-48 of the owner's manual. For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/2012/2k12tahsub.pdf (refer to pages 2-9, 5-50 and 5-51 of the digital manual).

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
B

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While I appreciate the GM Customer Service's attempt to answer my question, I don't think I'm being understood.

All I really want to know is ... once the driver has turned off the vehicle and remove the key from the ignition switch, if NONE of the following actions are performed:

• pressed the power lock button on the armrest, or
• locked the car by manually pushing down on the manual lock knob, or
• locked the car with the key, or
• pressed the “lock” button on the RKE

will (or can) the car lock itself? If it can lock itself, is there any way to stop that "feature" from happening?

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the dic on your daughters Tahoe there has to be a auto door lock feature on or off

OP
OP
B

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the dic on your daughters Tahoe there has to be a auto door lock feature on or off

According to the owner's manual, the only two options for Auto Door Lock are:

• SHIFT OUT OF PARK (default): The doors will automatically lock when the vehicle is shifted out of P(Park)
  • AT VEHICLE SPEED: The doors will automatically lock when the vehicle speed is above 8 mph for 3 seconds.

I don't care what the car does to the locks when either of the above actions occur ... I'm only concerned about whether the car will (or can) lock itself once the driver has turned off the ignition, removed the key and exited the vehicle!

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the owner's manual, the only two options for Auto Door Lock are:

• SHIFT OUT OF PARK (default): The doors will automatically lock when the vehicle is shifted out of P(Park)
  • AT VEHICLE SPEED: The doors will automatically lock when the vehicle speed is above 8 mph for 3 seconds.

I don't care what the car does to the locks when either of the above actions occur ... I'm only concerned about whether the car will (or can) lock itself once the driver has turned off the ignition, removed the key and exited the vehicle!

Have you gone into the DIC and turned off delay lock to see if that stops it? Seems like the first thing to try.

OP
OP
B

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you gone into the DIC and turned off delay lock to see if that stops it? Seems like the first thing to try.

According to the owner's manual ... the Delay Door Lock feature allows you to select whether or not the locking of the vehicle's doors and liftgate will be delayed ... and only has two options:

• OFF: There is no delayed locking of the vehicle's doors
  • ON (default): The doors will not lock until 5 seconds after the last door or the liftgate is closed

I'm reading the "OFF" option as meaning exactly what it says ... when locking the doors and liftgate with the power door lock switch and a door or the liftgate is open, this feature will delay locking the doors and liftgate until five seconds after the last door is closed ... changing this feature to OFF would mean that there would be NO DELAY, locking would occur IMMEDIATELY!

mike1944

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 is OFF and it does not lock itself.

You are not going to break the car by trying it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues