2012 Tahoe Automatic Door Locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saxart

Reaction score
Wow! Am I ever glad this thread was started! My truck has done this "auto lock" crap a couple of times, locking me out on more than one occasion, but I thought I was losing it.

What an idiotic feature!!!! You can't tell me MANY other people who don't notice this are also getting locked out.

I'll be honest, maybe I'm too "old school", but the more I learn about this truck (now owned for almost a year) the more I hate it for all of the "features" it has!

Baaaa..... Time to run out to the garage and turn off this crap!

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I was messing around with my settings on my last truck (08 Silverado) and apparently set the automatic lock wrong...last winter I went outside to warm it up, went back into my office for a few minutes and came back out to a locked and running truck! Nobody was around, my phone was in the truck and the wind chill was crazy, snow and ice on the ground. I was able to MacGuyver into the truck with a door stop wedge and a file hanger wrapped in tape.

It took me awhile to figure out what happened, for days I figured I had hit the lock upon exit. Once I remembered I had been messing with settings I immediately went back and set the feature to lock doors at 15mph or something to that effect.

Just bought the wife an 09 Suburban today and that's the first thing I did! It's not hard, just go into the DIC I don't recall the exact setting language but it's simple.

It's going to be hard to drive a stake through this topic and kill it. :uhoh2:

The Auto Door Lock feature, at least on my 2010 Tahoe, is set "AT VEHICLE SPEED", and the doors do not lock until the vehicle is moving above 8 MPH for three seconds. That feature has nothing to do with the doors seeming to lock on their own when the vehicle isn't moving and the operator is outside the vehicle. The operator is doing something to cause them to lock with the keys inside the vehicle. I had the same problem when I first got my Tahoe, and the solution was to not press anything on the door panels or Remote Keyless Entry transmitter when I got out of the vehicle. When I am then ready to lock the doors, I use the Remote Keyless Entry transmitter.

There is too much overthinking on this topic! Keep it simple: It's operator error, and nothing more. Look at post #22 on this topic dated 8:56 P.M. on 07-03-12 with bankerjohn's crystal clear posts and my responses. The answer is there, and it's simple. :)

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a bit of additional information after investigating this issue further. Although there is not an option to disable the auto door locks from the factory, if the owner wishes to have the feature disabled, there is a procedure that can be performed by your dealer. If you would like the feature disabled, please consult with your local dealer for additional information. If your dealer is unaware of this procedure, have them contact the Technical Assistance Center.

I hope this helps.

Louis
GM Customer Service

ARAMP1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ahhhh, the delayed locking feature. On my first day of ownership, my two three month old boys got locked in my yukon at the gas station. Hadn't even set up onstar yet.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! We are happy to be monitoring the forums. Please, don't hesitate to contact us with comments, questions and/or concerns.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Michelle, GM Customer Service assisting Louis

Noshoesguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What a wild ride this thread has been. I am borrowing a 2011 Tahoe ltz and it's locked me out several times. Every time the keys are in the ignition and two times the vehicle was running. I deliver pizza and this is the worst feature ever implemented into any car ever. If I want to lock the doors I will lock the doors with the key fob. Why on earth would anyone want this feature and why would it happen with the keys in the freaking ignition. And why would it only happen once every 30-40 times. It's abysmal. Last time it happened today I literally broke the driver door handle off trying to open the door. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had had their entire days or weeks ruined because of this feature. At least now I know to never ever buy a Chevrolet vehicle. Unbelievable. And yes the auto door delay lock was off in the settings until it's not. Randomly. It's super awesome having to go into the back seat and reach all the way around to open the driver door until the new $22 handle arrives. I'm disgusted

DTOM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You joined, just to post this, on a nearly 10 year old thread?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a wild ride this thread has been. I am borrowing a 2011 Tahoe ltz and it's locked me out several times. Every time the keys are in the ignition and two times the vehicle was running. I deliver pizza and this is the worst feature ever implemented into any car ever. If I want to lock the doors I will lock the doors with the key fob. Why on earth would anyone want this feature and why would it happen with the keys in the freaking ignition. And why would it only happen once every 30-40 times. It's abysmal. Last time it happened today I literally broke the driver door handle off trying to open the door. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had had their entire days or weeks ruined because of this feature. At least now I know to never ever buy a Chevrolet vehicle. Unbelievable. And yes the auto door delay lock was off in the settings until it's not. Randomly. It's super awesome having to go into the back seat and reach all the way around to open the driver door until the new $22 handle arrives. I'm disgusted
roll the window down if you're doing delivery i suggest getting a capacitor as well this will extend the life of the starter motor and battery

this is not an issue on newer models they fixed it since they have 2way fobs now and push start so the fob always stays in the pocket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518