2012 Tahoe Automatic Door Locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
While I appreciate the GM Customer Service's attempt to answer my question, I don't think I'm being understood.

All I really want to know is ... once the driver has turned off the vehicle and remove the key from the ignition switch, if NONE of the following actions are performed:

• pressed the power lock button on the armrest, or
• locked the car by manually pushing down on the manual lock knob, or
• locked the car with the key, or
• pressed the “lock” button on the RKE

will (or can) the car lock itself?

No.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

According to the owner's manual ... the Delay Door Lock feature allows you to select whether or not the locking of the vehicle's doors and liftgate will be delayed ... and only has two options:

• OFF: There is no delayed locking of the vehicle's doors
  • ON (default): The doors will not lock until 5 seconds after the last door or the liftgate is closed

I'm reading the "OFF" option as meaning exactly what it says ... when locking the doors and liftgate with the power door lock switch and a door or the liftgate is open, this feature will delay locking the doors and liftgate until five seconds after the last door is closed ... changing this feature to OFF would mean that there would be NO DELAY, locking would occur IMMEDIATELY!

You're correct.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I appreciate the GM Customer Service's attempt to answer my question, I don't think I'm being understood.

All I really want to know is ... once the driver has turned off the vehicle and remove the key from the ignition switch, if NONE of the following actions are performed:

• pressed the power lock button on the armrest, or
• locked the car by manually pushing down on the manual lock knob, or
• locked the car with the key, or
• pressed the “lock” button on the RKE

will (or can) the car lock itself? If it can lock itself, is there any way to stop that "feature" from happening?

As others have posted as well, turning the Delayed Locking feature to OFF will turn off the delayed locking, meaning the auto locking function is off, not the delay.

Were you able to correct this issue? If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
B

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As others have posted as well, turning the Delayed Locking feature to OFF will turn off the delayed locking, meaning the auto locking function is off, not the delay.

Were you able to correct this issue? If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Your response is exactly opposite from the response I got just above yours from StevenFromTexas ... he agreed with my reading of the manual, turning off the Delay Door Lock feature turns off the delay, not the locking feature ... set to OFF, the locking is immediate instead of being delayed!

I also downloaded a copy of the 2005 Tahoe owner's manual, and the "default" back then was OFF ... and here's a direct quote from the manual:

DOOR LOCK DELAY: OFF (default): The doors will
lock immediately when pressing the power lock switch or
the lock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter.​

One of you is wrong!

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your response is exactly opposite from the response I got just above yours from StevenFromTexas ... he agreed with my reading of the manual, turning off the Delay Door Lock feature turns off the delay, not the locking feature ... set to OFF, the locking is immediate instead of being delayed!

I also downloaded a copy of the 2005 Tahoe owner's manual, and the "default" back then was OFF ... and here's a direct quote from the manual:

One of you is wrong!

I think OFF means hit the button to turn it off. Which in turn the DIC will say ON. So if you hit the button again it will turn it back on.

So a display saying OFF = it is on :)

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score

One of you is wrong!

It isn't me that's wrong! My accuracy rating is much higher than Rush Limbaugh's, and his is around 99.1% according to him. :Big Laugh:

You read the manual correctly. I have verified all my DIC settings, and you can disregard all the posts except yours and mine in this topic. I even went out in my Tahoe and changed settings to what some other posters said to do just for amusement purposes, and I wasn't amused at all.

OP
OP
B

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It isn't me that's wrong! My accuracy rating is much higher than Rush Limbaugh's, and his is around 99.1% according to him. :Big Laugh:

You read the manual correctly. I have verified all my DIC settings, and you can disregard all the posts except yours and mine in this topic. I even went out in my Tahoe and changed settings to what some other posters said to do just for amusement purposes, and I wasn't amused at all.

You're "the man"!

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score

One of you is wrong!

You are correct, and that person would be me. I apologize, but after additional research and consultation of my internal resources, I realized I misunderstood the question and the manual. "StevenFromTexas" is correct.

Turning off the Delay Locking in the DIC shuts off the lock delay. The vehicle will not lock itself, unless you have locked the vehicle via the fob, lock button, etc.

I apologize for the misunderstanding and providing the incorrect answer. Thank you "StevenFromTexas" for the correction.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I didn't know GM hung around here! Be nice to them it's a rare service, I don't know of any other forums they're on (and I'm in a bunch).

I was messing around with my settings on my last truck (08 Silverado) and apparently set the automatic lock wrong...last winter I went outside to warm it up, went back into my office for a few minutes and came back out to a locked and running truck! Nobody was around, my phone was in the truck and the wind chill was crazy, snow and ice on the ground. I was able to MacGuyver into the truck with a door stop wedge and a file hanger wrapped in tape.

It took me awhile to figure out what happened, for days I figured I had hit the lock upon exit. Once I remembered I had been messing with settings I immediately went back and set the feature to lock doors at 15mph or something to that effect.

Just bought the wife an 09 Suburban today and that's the first thing I did! It's not hard, just go into the DIC I don't recall the exact setting language but it's simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094