2012 Tahoe 5.3 Shut down 3 months. Will not start. Help? Ideas? FIXED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TerryKing

TerryKing

Reaction score
I suspect a security issue. If you have gas and spark and air I would want to put a Tech-2 on it and look for internal codes.
I don't have access to a Tech-2 but I have a 'decent' OBII scanner and will check that first tomorrow.

WHAT could be a "Security Issue"?? Sorry, no idea...

Thanks! Terry

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have access to a Tech-2 but I have a 'decent' OBII scanner and will check that first tomorrow.

WHAT could be a "Security Issue"?? Sorry, no idea...

Thanks! Terry
UNLESS it is starting for a second and then shutting off automatically and the security light is lit up then that's not it.
what did the fuel pressure show?
also unless you have a check engine light on a OBD scanner is pretty much useless in this type of case and most check engine issue's are simply smog related equipment and will not prevent you from starting and driving away, a flashing check engine light means there is a misfire, etc or some other issue that may cause engine damage if it is driven.

OP
OP
TerryKing

TerryKing

Reaction score
CURIOUSER and CURIOUSER: No FuelPump Relay OR Fuse in main electrical box...

FIRST: NO FUEL PRESSURE at key-on or Crank. DID hammer fueltank.

But I have the actual photo of the layout of the main electrical box:
FusePanelUnderHoodE1-1024.jpg

There is NOTHING in the FuelPump Relay position and NOTHING in Fuse position 20 (Fuel Pump (24A)

I'm sure no one of my friends snuck in and took those, because the dirt in those locations is untouched. Also they are not THAT weird...
Here's that area of the Electrical Box:
20230107_150408-1024.jpg

This was a Government vehicle (Federal not police). Here's the actual RPO list:

RPO-Codes-2012TAHOE-1024.jpg

So my burning question of the moment, of course, is WTF??
Anyone seen this? Any pointers? Any wild ideas?? Suggestions on Where To Start Looking?

THANKS for looking at / thinking about This!

Regards, Terry

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SWAG: Check power on both sides of fuse #21 for the Fuel System Control Module.

When you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

If you get this far, here are some test procedures for the FSCM:

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CURIOUSER and CURIOUSER: No FuelPump Relay OR Fuse in main electrical box...

FIRST: NO FUEL PRESSURE at key-on or Crank. DID hammer fueltank.

But I have the actual photo of the layout of the main electrical box:
View attachment 389084

There is NOTHING in the FuelPump Relay position and NOTHING in Fuse position 20 (Fuel Pump (24A)

I'm sure no one of my friends snuck in and took those, because the dirt in those locations is untouched. Also they are not THAT weird...
Here's that area of the Electrical Box:
View attachment 389085

This was a Government vehicle (Federal not police). Here's the actual RPO list:

View attachment 389086

So my burning question of the moment, of course, is WTF??
Anyone seen this? Any pointers? Any wild ideas?? Suggestions on Where To Start Looking?

THANKS for looking at / thinking about This!

Regards, Terry
They eliminated the fuel pump fuse and combined with the fuel pump control module. so you do not have a fuel pump fuse per say.
since there is no fuel pressure you could try pulling the harness off of the fuel pump control module and be sure it is clean and has no corrosion it is located under the spare tire on the bottom of the body. otherwise you may simply have a dead fuel pump I would certainly be looking under it with a flashlight for any chewed wires though mice love barns.

OP
OP
TerryKing

TerryKing

Reaction score

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The video in the link I posted shows where it is, and the tests to confirm that it's the module. You can also test the pump using jumpers while you're there.

RockAuto listed two different GM OE parts, one with JL1 and one without. You have JL4, and it appears that the Dorman part in the link would be compatible since you don't have JL1.

1673143111023.png

The GM modules would require programming. I don't have any experience with these but am just playing show and tell. ;)

1673142988857.png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could try the dorman module but if you plug it in then they are usually not returnable if it turns out to not be the problem, my money would be on the fuel pump froze up from sitting if the wiring isn't chewed up anywhere. Watch the video in the link Fless gave and it will allow you determine the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts