2012 Tahoe 5.3 Shut down 3 months. Will not start. Help? Ideas? FIXED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryKing

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My 2012 Tahoe has run very well for years. Winter starts were OK.

I had to leave it for 3 months to travel to Middle East. I added Stabil, fresh gas before shutdown. Ran battery maintainer. It 'rested' 3 months in my barn in Vermont.

No Start. If cycling key on and off after an hour, it may do a quick stumble. No actual start. Waited for 3 above-freezing days, added some electric heat under fuel lines. No start. Battery good.

What should I check out next?? Ideas on what is wrong?

I will borrow reader and check for codes today.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated!

Regards, Terry King
...In The Woods In Vermont
The one who dies with the most Parts LOSES! WHAT DO YOU NEED??

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Cranking rhythm? Turns over fast, like it did before? Gotta start with basics. Have spark? Fuel pressure?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My 2012 Tahoe has run very well for years. Winter starts were OK.

I had to leave it for 3 months to travel to Middle East. I added Stabil, fresh gas before shutdown. Ran battery maintainer. It 'rested' 3 months in my barn in Vermont.

No Start. If cycling key on and off after an hour, it may do a quick stumble. No actual start. Waited for 3 above-freezing days, added some electric heat under fuel lines. No start. Battery good.

What should I check out next?? Ideas on what is wrong?

I will borrow reader and check for codes today.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated!

Regards, Terry King
...In The Woods In Vermont
The one who dies with the most Parts LOSES! WHAT DO YOU NEED??
check fuel pressure and reach under the drivers side rear and smack the bottom of the gas tank with a rubber mallet a few times

OP
OP
TerryKing

TerryKing

Reaction score
Hi and Thanks!! Fuel Pressure: How to test / What I need?; will be by O'reilly's soon..
I have done the rubber mallet on the tank but will repeat that. Is the pump fore or aft of that long tank??
Isthere a specific fuse to test??

Thanks Guys!! T

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi and Thanks!! Fuel Pressure: How to test / What I need?; will be by O'reilly's soon..
I have done the rubber mallet on the tank but will repeat that. Is the pump fore or aft of that long tank??
Isthere a specific fuse to test??

Thanks Guys!! T
you can get a basic fuel pressure tester for $20-30 at most autoparts stores or harbor freight, it should read 50-65psi with key on (pre-start) and then drop to around 45 while running. if it was working before I don't see any reason to suspect a fuse, I would be looking for chewed wires if it was left parked in a barn from critters.

OP
OP
TerryKing

TerryKing

Reaction score
Hi Again,
OK borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from Oreillys. Quick look 2 mins ago: I do not see a fuel test port at rear of the "Vortec" plastic top cover on passengers side, like some online view showed.
And I hate to say I have never taken the top plastic cover OFF.. :-( Does it just come upward with enough force??
And any more exact info on the test port location 2012 Tahoe 5.3 would be appreciated! My son in law will be stopping by a little later and we'll look at it together.

THANKS! Good to be not totally alone here in the snowy woods...

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Again,
OK borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from Oreillys. Quick look 2 mins ago: I do not see a fuel test port at rear of the "Vortec" plastic top cover on passengers side, like some online view showed.
And I hate to say I have never taken the top plastic cover OFF.. :-( Does it just come upward with enough force??
And any more exact info on the test port location 2012 Tahoe 5.3 would be appreciated! My son in law will be stopping by a little later and we'll look at it together.

Hopefully, the snow is not too bad today! Its been falling here all morning and we are getting accumulation now, YAY!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Again,

The Schrader valve to test the fuel pressure is on the passenger side fuel rail and likely has a plastic cap on it. Nearer the rear of the head than to the front. Looks like a tire valve but physically bigger.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Again,

Fuel rail port is on the passenger side of the intake. Lift up on plastic cover and pull forward. Fuel pressure running ought to be 43.5 psi.

I suspect a security issue. If you have gas and spark and air I would want to put a Tech-2 on it and look for internal codes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157