2011 Yukon XL Heated/ Cooled Driver Seat Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

browning3006

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm stumped and need some direction/ help. I realize similar threads exist but haven't pinpointed the details.

The driver heated/ cooled seat stopped working in the middle of a trip last week. Lights for cooled/ heated back/ heated back + seat function normally. When I press any of them I hear the relay click and then it will click again in 5-30 seconds. If I try to press it again, I don't hear the relay.

After searching I looked at the module under the passenger seat for burning/ bulging - it comes apart with ease and no sign of trouble.

Fuse is good.

Pulled the rear cover off of the seat and cleaned the blower fan out with compressed air. Put the blower back in and started the engine and pressed the heated back + seat. Relay clicked and fan started up for a few seconds. Relay clicked off shortly after.

I'm a bit confused from what I've read here and elsewhere. Does the blower fan (what I believe is a TED) control the heat and cooling or are there separate heating elements in the R86 configuration?

My initial plan was to find replacement blowers (I believe there is one on the seat back and one under the chair - correct me if I'm wrong) and just replace both. I don't have a bi-directional tool and just want to fix the issue before the cold sets in.

If all I need are the 2 blowers can someone point me to the correct part numbers? I'm having a heck of a time trying to correctly identify those even after looking at the label and seeing it was manufactured by Amerigon. I'm only seeing used items and would prefer to not gamble with those.

Thanks for any direction offered!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
For heated & cooled seats it’s often best to let a dealership take a crack at it just to get the diagnosis. I read that if the actuators for the dash vents are out it won’t complete it’s cycle to allow start up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm stumped and need some direction/ help. I realize similar threads exist but haven't pinpointed the details.

The driver heated/ cooled seat stopped working in the middle of a trip last week. Lights for cooled/ heated back/ heated back + seat function normally. When I press any of them I hear the relay click and then it will click again in 5-30 seconds. If I try to press it again, I don't hear the relay.

After searching I looked at the module under the passenger seat for burning/ bulging - it comes apart with ease and no sign of trouble.

Fuse is good.

Pulled the rear cover off of the seat and cleaned the blower fan out with compressed air. Put the blower back in and started the engine and pressed the heated back + seat. Relay clicked and fan started up for a few seconds. Relay clicked off shortly after.

I'm a bit confused from what I've read here and elsewhere. Does the blower fan (what I believe is a TED) control the heat and cooling or are there separate heating elements in the R86 configuration?

My initial plan was to find replacement blowers (I believe there is one on the seat back and one under the chair - correct me if I'm wrong) and just replace both. I don't have a bi-directional tool and just want to fix the issue before the cold sets in.

If all I need are the 2 blowers can someone point me to the correct part numbers? I'm having a heck of a time trying to correctly identify those even after looking at the label and seeing it was manufactured by Amerigon. I'm only seeing used items and would prefer to not gamble with those.

Thanks for any direction offered!
A Tech-2 will tell you what's wrong in moments, without throwing parts at it. If you have an IPhone, the Car Scanner app in the Apple Store can read BCM codes with an OBDII adapter, at least we see them with a Foseal OBDII adapter.

Once you have the codes, you can get access to the shop manual at AllDataDIY and run through the troubleshooting guide.

OP
OP
B

browning3006

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A Tech-2 will tell you what's wrong in moments, without throwing parts at it. If you have an IPhone, the Car Scanner app in the Apple Store can read BCM codes with an OBDII adapter, at least we see them with a Foseal OBDII adapter.

Once you have the codes, you can get access to the shop manual at AllDataDIY and run through the troubleshooting guide.
Do I need the pro version of Car Scanner to pull BCM? I believe my bluetooth OBDII is ELM327 compatible which leads me to believe I should see the data. With the free version I didn't see any fault codes or other details that would point to the problem. Thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need the pro version of Car Scanner to pull BCM? I believe my bluetooth OBDII is ELM327 compatible which leads me to believe I should see the data. With the free version I didn't see any fault codes or other details that would point to the problem. Thanks!
Not 100% sure as my daughter uses the IPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019