2011 Yukon..Transmission shot... worth replacing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Called first transmission shop. They have good reviews. Spoke to the guy. Very nice. He couldn’t give me a price cause he wants to confirm the transmission due to it being a 2011. I drop it off Friday. Hopefully he reasonable !

Hopefully you lead off with "my SUV is making a strange noise and I'd like you to diagnose it" and not "can you look it over and quote me the price of a rebuild"

I say this because 9 times out of 10 if you seem like your willing to pay for the most expensive option that's what they will say you need.

Either way good luck with your SUV!

rcorwin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here’s my story... purchased a 2011 Yukon 3 years ago. I have a balance of $8,000 left on the loan. Recently the transmission started making some noise and had it checked out at the local dealership. They told me it’s shot and given the age and mileage of the car it’s not worth replacing. The estimate was 5300 to replace tranny.

my car now has 170,000 miles and I never had an issue until now. Even though it’s got 170,000 miles, the car still rides like a champ...(until my tranny situation)

so I’ve been shopping for cars lately. I checked out a new base Yukon that isn’t nearly as loaded as mine and I’m looking at 900 dollar a month payments and to be honest, I’m not looking to spend that much money on a car per month that I’m not going to own.

So I’ve been shopping for cars and to be honest, there is nothing out there that excites me like my Yukon.

so my question is, so you think it’s worth replacing the transmission on a car with 170,000 miles that I still owe 8 grand on? If I can get at least 3 more years out of this car after replacing tranny I think I will be fine. But then in the back of my mind I find myself wondering if I’m crazy for considering spending so much money on a car that has 170,000 miles.

I’m no car expert but just wondering what the thoughts of the community are on my situation. Especially the thoughts of some mechanics. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

matt

I owe a 2007 Yukon XL Denali with just under 250,000 miles. Just replaced the transmission and transmission control module for under $3800, with a used transmission with 40,000 miles on it. The Denali is in excellent shape, everything still works, I’ve done a lot of maintenance but we use this for our daily driver and toad trip queen. There was no question about repairing it, a new one cost $80,000.

If yours is in good condition, I would find a local shop you can trust and repair it.

Good luck,

Robert Corwin
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - 250,000 miles
2003 Chevy Tahoe LT - 203,000 miles

Black Limited

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2009 Denali AwD tranny died at 160k. i found a reputable shop and I went with a complete rebuild. $6k. Big decision for me too but I plan to keep this baby for another 5 years so I went ahead with it and have to say that it feels like a champ. At that point also replaced all the shocks so crossing fingers that it gets to 250k unscathed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My '05 Sub is hitting 229k, second owner, original motor and trans, 3.5 k - 4k oil changes , 30k transmission pan drop, clean and install new trans filter. Fingers crossed for another 80-100k miles. Rearend rebuilt first owner towed trailer.

Black Limited

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2009 Denali AwD tranny died at 160k. i found a reputable shop and I went with a complete rebuild. $6k. Big decision for me too but I plan to keep this baby for another 5 years so I went ahead with it and have to say that it feels like a champ. At that point also replaced all the shocks so crossing fingers that it gets to 250k unscathed

My '05 Sub is hitting 229k, second owner, original motor and trans, 3.5 k - 4k oil changes , 30k transmission pan drop, clean and install new trans filter. Fingers crossed for another 80-100k miles. Rear-end rebuilt @ 200k, first owner towed trailer.

Black Limited

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

My '05 Sub is hitting 229k, second owner, original motor and trans, 3.5 k - 4k oil changes , 30k transmission pan drops, clean and install new trans filter. Fingers crossed for another 80-100k miles. Rear-end rebuilt @ 200k, first owner towed trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts