2011 Yukon engine dropped a valve... 186k AFM Flex

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stapleto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has very loud ticking noise, #5 was not firing. I took the drivers side valve off to find #5 intake valve not seated in the up/closed position. Put compressed air in through spark plug hole, air was blowing out throttle body. I guess the valve somehow contacted the piston and bent. I tried prying the valve closed but it would not close completely with rocker arm off. The push rod was straight and appeared to be good shape. Could a failed lifter do this or what? I have been researching reman long block, any advise? Fraser reman engine is close by...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has very loud ticking noise, #5 was not firing. I took the drivers side valve off to find #5 intake valve not seated in the up/closed position. Put compressed air in through spark plug hole, air was blowing out throttle body. I guess the valve somehow contacted the piston and bent. I tried prying the valve closed but it would not close completely with rocker arm off. The push rod was straight and appeared to be good shape. Could a failed lifter do this or what? I have been researching reman long block, any advise? Fraser reman engine is close by...
I suspect further investigation is needed to determine what exactly needs replacing. I had a valve stick open once and the block was fine and the head was made whole again. You may not need a new engine or even a head, maybe.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 to what @avalonandl said. Gonna have to pull the head to figure out if you have any damage to the combustion chamber/piston. #5 is an AFM cylinder, so it's likely that you have a problem with one of the lifters in that cylinder. Might as well remove both heads and consider an AFM delete.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another for needing to pull the head to know the extent of the problems. It may be contained to just that head, which would not be a big number to fix.

FWIW, I was talking to the regional sales guy from Fraser and he mentioned they sell an AFM deleted version of this engine. They recommend it for their fleet customers, so if you did have lower end damage, you can get an AFM deleted version.

OP
OP
stapleto

stapleto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The valve cover was extremely dirty, socked it in ox clean, which really did a great job, and cleaned passages with brake clean. The crap that came out looked like small pieces of coal. After seeing that i realized to engine was not maintained. I bought as used engine from American & Imports for $3800 + $1500 installation with 66k. I think this is my best decision. Thanks for the support.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The valve cover was extremely dirty, socked it in ox clean, which really did a great job, and cleaned passages with brake clean. The crap that came out looked like small pieces of coal. After seeing that i realized to engine was not maintained. I bought as used engine from American & Imports for $3800 + $1500 installation with 66k. I think this is my best decision. Thanks for the support.
Bummer man, but I'm glad you have a solution. Poor maintenance is the killer for the AFM system.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope replaced the ENGINE!
Thanks for following up with what you decided to do. Did they diagnose the old engine at all before/after it was pulled to see what was going on? Where did you buy your new engine from? Rough cost? All of this will help others here who run into similar problems to weigh their options.

OP
OP
stapleto

stapleto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for following up with what you decided to do. Did they diagnose the old engine at all before/after it was pulled to see what was going on? Where did you buy your new engine from? Rough cost? All of this will help others here who run into similar problems to weigh their options.
I bought a 66k mile engine from American & Import for $3200 with a 6-month warranty. Haven't torn down the old piece crap GM 6.2 liter yet. Keep the engine oil changed frequently. This Yukon was used went we bought it, really no maintenance records and obviously the oil was not changed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518