2011 Yukon AC Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

officedog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a recent trip, my 2011 Yukon AC system stopped working. It was frosting up, blower not sending air through the vents. When I turned the AC controls off for a while (15 minutes or so), and then turned the AC back on, it would blow cold for a while (15 minutes or so), and then repeat the cycle.

The system was totally replaced a little less than a year ago ($1600) and was still under warranty.

All pressures were good, not a low refrigerant problem. They replaced all the sensors and reprogrammed the controls. Didn't fix the problem.

Then they decided to replace the entire system (compressor, condenser, orifice tube, etc.). And the system is still freezing up, like nothing has changed.

I'm still under warranty for the AC system and the shop has committed to fixing it. But I sure would like to hear your comments about what might be the root cause of this problem.

Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the fan motor is working? but the system gets so cold it makes ice on the condenser and no air can flow thru? seems like a dream come true here in Cali, lol
but from your description is that what is happening?

Reaction score
Subscribing to this thread. My 2001 does the same thing and has for years. The AC works fine, but if you're on a long drive, in about 2 hours the AC will stop blowing cold. If you stop and let it sit for a bit (like while getting something to eat) it will melt and drain out a lot of water underneath and run fine again for about another 2 hours.

Usually if it's not low on charge it's the metering device on the system that has gone bad and causes the coil to freeze up. I had this problem on my home AC, it was a bad TXV, so I'm thinking orifice tube on the car AC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14