2011 Tahoe White/Blue Smoke on Startup, Dealer Says New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for possible valve seal replacement. Using a compressor & valve spring compressor tool of your choice , is a time consuming but easy job.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://f01.justanswer.com/camerontech/b2a842c0-18fc-4828-85f1-e66f6588acba_SB-10065824-9133.pdf

Here is a link to a GM TSB that goes over the “upgrade” parts and what they do. I wouldn’t buy a new valve cover until I knew for certain I had the down rev cover. The other part of the update was an AFM pressure relief valve deflector that is mounted with the AFM pressure relief valve, down in the oil pan.

Yours very well has those upgrades already. Good to know before you start swapping parts.

OP
OP
C

comfreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
https://f01.justanswer.com/camerontech/b2a842c0-18fc-4828-85f1-e66f6588acba_SB-10065824-9133.pdf

Here is a link to a GM TSB that goes over the “upgrade” parts and what they do. I wouldn’t buy a new valve cover until I knew for certain I had the down rev cover. The other part of the update was an AFM pressure relief valve deflector that is mounted with the AFM pressure relief valve, down in the oil pan.

Yours very well has those upgrades already. Good to know before you start swapping parts.

Mine was built in October 2010, I checked the driver door sticker (10/10). I doubt it has these upgrades, it falls specifically into the model date range where this is an issue and the TSB description sounds textbook as to what's happening. I suspect that simply due to age, some things are gummed up in the engine and I'm seeing the oil loss to a more extreme level. As I said, I never checked the oil between changes so unfortunately I don't know if we were ever down a quart or two previously.

I can at least check the valve cover now to verify whether this might be the culprit.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was built in October 2010, I checked the driver door sticker (10/10). I doubt it has these upgrades, it falls specifically into the model date range where this is an issue and the TSB description sounds textbook as to what's happening. I suspect that simply due to age, some things are gummed up in the engine and I'm seeing the oil loss to a more extreme level. As I said, I never checked the oil between changes so unfortunately I don't know if we were ever down a quart or two previously.

I can at least check the valve cover now to verify whether this might be the culprit.

If you have a downrev valve cover, the procedure in the TSB to try and free the rings up (using a solvent) may work. It didn't work on mine, but I have read a few accounts of it working. In my case it took new pistons and rings, along with the valve cover and pressure relief valve deflector. The good news is 40K miles plus and no appreciable oil consumption.

OP
OP
C

comfreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have a downrev valve cover, the procedure in the TSB to try and free the rings up (using a solvent) may work. It didn't work on mine, but I have read a few accounts of it working. In my case it took new pistons and rings, along with the valve cover and pressure relief valve deflector. The good news is 40K miles plus and no appreciable oil consumption.

The rings are free, engine is running just fine. The issue is how I ended up with the oil loss which I suspect is related to the valve cover and/or AFM problems.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rings are free, engine is running just fine. The issue is how I ended up with the oil loss which I suspect is related to the valve cover and/or AFM problems.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood, I thought your dealer thought your rings were shot, hence the reman engine. Sounds like you have things figured out.

Good luck

3JFamily

Reaction score
Is there some specific way to check the existing one? I have ordered the replacement driver side valve cover and intend to replace the existing one myself and then monitor the oil levels.

Only way I know of is to take the valve cover off and check the drain holes and PCV for build-up or clogging.

If you google 5.3 smoke on start-up you will find lots of posts. GM did an update to the driver side valve cover.

Aeterna

Reaction score
There was an updated driver side valve cover in 2010ish I think. Yours could of been made with the old valve cover. The old design caused this exact issue as oil would get sucked into the pcv system. Ive had two 5.3’s with this problem and the new design valve cover fixed the issue.

you will need to do some googling to find model numbers but it is very much a thing. The new design has a better design baffle on the inside of the valve cover.

OP
OP
C

comfreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE AGAIN

Spoke to the Dealer service manager, told them I was disgusted with their lack of diagnosis and the service manager actually agreed. The service manager said the technician who claimed I needed an engine replacement basically did nothing to diagnose the issue, just looked at mileage and oil loss and equated that to bad piston /oil rings which explains why they only spent an hour or less actually "diagnosing" the problem.

The service manager brought up all the other issues that can plague this model year, like the valve cover and the TSB with the oil consumption warnings, AFM issues, etc.. Offered to personally send a loaner vehicle over, pickup our Tahoe, and properly diagnose the problem.

I already bought a replacement valve cover to do the job myself and bought an AFM disabler.

Should I give the dealer another shot or fix the issues myself? If I send it back, they'll doubtless charge hundreds or more for the various fixes for labor.

The truck has run fantastic since replacing the lost oil. Not a hint of smoking, runs just fine. I'm inclined to install the valve cover, disable the AFM, run some engine cleaner through, and then watch the oil now fully aware of the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins