2011 Denali Hybrid cuts off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello folks. I'm new here and obviously seeking help. My 2011 Denali Hybrid shuts down completely when I'm driving. It does happen more in hot weather. And right now we're experiencing 90 degree days. I drive maybe 30 minutes for an errand. Back in the the truck 10 minutes and it cuts out. I get messages it's 'reducing power'. Luckily I was able to guide it into a parking space. I let the truck sit for 30 minutes and it immediately starts right up. This has happen several times.
I'm at a loss...any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks. I'm new here and obviously seeking help. My 2011 Denali Hybrid shuts down completely when I'm driving. It does happen more in hot weather. And right now we're experiencing 90 degree days. I drive maybe 30 minutes for an errand. Back in the the truck 10 minutes and it cuts out. I get messages it's 'reducing power'. Luckily I was able to guide it into a parking space. I let the truck sit for 30 minutes and it immediately starts right up. This has happen several times.
I'm at a loss...any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Moved you here. You posted in the 2021+section.

Welcome from NYC!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have access to any kind of scanner? read codes or check Temps?

on the dash you can read coolent and trans Temps, how do those look? to see the hybrid stuff you'll need a scanner. how is the truck running before this happens? usually hybrid battery issues it bucks badly and drives like crap. if it's driving fine when it happens it sounds more like normal engine problems. like say over heating will go into reduce power mode

OP
OP
D

Denali Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I checked the Temps they arevin normal range. The scanner showed a 'trottle body' whiched I changed. The Hybrid battery was replaced last year.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I checked the Temps they arevin normal range. The scanner showed a 'trottle body' whiched I changed. The Hybrid battery was replaced last year.

the Tb is pretty common to cause reduced power when they go bad. good you got that out of the way.. still slightly possibly you got a bad part. sadly happens pretty often around here.

I didn't think it sounds hybrid battery itself, so make sense it's newer. what type of scanner do you have. well it read codes or give live data from other modules in the car?

at this point unless someone else just happened to have the same exact issues. you sorta gotta have a nice scanner, something that can read stuff byond the engine ecm and start trouble shooting while it failing.

the upside is they usually throw codes crazy when something goes wrong, bad side is sometimes there's so many you chase the wrong one.

OP
OP
D

Denali Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. I have a buddy with a Snap-On scanner. I'm going to have him run it tomorrow. Thanks so much.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the throttle body connector might be damaged or the reading from the gas peddle is off (i.e worn out) causing it to read the sensor incorrectly

How old is the 12v battery? has it been load tested

Halomez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar problem; my yukon would randomly shut off at red lights. Dealership said I had to replace the drive battery. Long story short, it was the battery fan quit and the battery was overheating.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem; my yukon would randomly shut off at red lights. Dealership said I had to replace the drive battery. Long story short, it was the battery fan quit and the battery was overheating.

it would be super interesting to know at what battery temp your truck shut down at.

on my old pack with bad cells I saw some Temps in the 120s and that was with the fan working. interesting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo