2010 tahoe led tail light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nickct203

Reaction score
I don’t understand the whole resistor workaround. Resistors convert electrical energy into thermal energy - heat. I’ve heard the resistors get too hot to touch, but I don’t know this for sure. But that’s a lot of energy. So your power draw and current probably actually goes up with the resistor inline in series with the LED fixture. LED on the stop lights and flashers in an old GM SUV is a solution looking for a problem that causes another problem, is what I think. Why not just replace the fixture with new crystal fixture (or polish the old one) and use LEDs for the backup lights and 3157 incandescent clear and amber for the stop light and flashing turn signal lights?

By the way, have you checked your Cruise Control?
I bought the new LED rail light because someone smashed out my stock tail lights. So instead of just buying the stock looking tail lights I bought these. And I rarely use the cruise control so no haven't checked it.

OP
OP
N

Nickct203

Reaction score
I don’t understand the whole resistor workaround. Resistors convert electrical energy into thermal energy - heat. I’ve heard the resistors get too hot to touch, but I don’t know this for sure. But that’s a lot of energy. So your power draw and current probably actually goes up with the resistor inline in series with the LED fixture. LED on the stop lights and flashers in an old GM SUV is a solution looking for a problem that causes another problem, is what I think. Why not just replace the fixture with new crystal fixture (or polish the old one) and use LEDs for the backup lights and 3157 incandescent clear and amber for the stop light and flashing turn signal lights?

By the way, have you checked your Cruise Control?
I've been trying to find where this post was and finally found it. I know it's been awhile but I finally remembered to check the cruise control. To answer your question, no it no longer works. I also noticed that when my head lights are on I don't have brake lights either. I only have brake lights when my headlights are off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find where this post was and finally found it. I know it's been awhile but I finally remembered to check the cruise control. To answer your question, no it no longer works. I also noticed that when my head lights are on I don't have brake lights either. I only have brake lights when my headlights are off.
your issue is something is not wired correctly it is either the tail lights or resistors or both.
all 4 flashing happens when they are wired incorreclty.
when it is wired wrong and or has a bad load it can make all 4 flash and maybe even do wierder things like light up a headlight and a marker light on the rear, or even something else totaly bizzare.
how do I know? because I have done it myself a few times
you are going to have to troubleshoot, I would start with the tail lights and check each circuit. With aftermarket lights you may need to switch wires around because they are usually made in china and you will be lucky if they even worked at all to begin with.
onvce you get it sorted out they will work correctly and cruise control should also then work, cruise control will not work if it detects a problem in the brake lights or system or if there is a check engine light on.

OP
OP
N

Nickct203

Reaction score
your issue is something is not wired correctly it is either the tail lights or resistors or both.
all 4 flashing happens when they are wired incorreclty.
when it is wired wrong and or has a bad load it can make all 4 flash and maybe even do wierder things like light up a headlight and a marker light on the rear, or even something else totaly bizzare.
how do I know? because I have done it myself a few times
you are going to have to troubleshoot, I would start with the tail lights and check each circuit. With aftermarket lights you may need to switch wires around because they are usually made in china and you will be lucky if they even worked at all to begin with.
onvce you get it sorted out they will work correctly and cruise control should also then work, cruise control will not work if it detects a problem in the brake lights or system or if there is a check engine light on.
Thank you for the help. I've been beating my head for a very long time now. My third brake light also stopped working.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I've been beating my head for a very long time now. My third brake light also stopped working.
3rd light is tied into one of the tail lights I forget which side
you could check the gm upfitter guide it has wiring diagrams that may help

OP
OP
N

Nickct203

Reaction score
3rd light is tied into one of the tail lights I forget which side
you could check the gm upfitter guide it has wiring diagrams that may help
Awesome thanks again. I went and popped my head under the back just to see if 1 of the wires was broke. At that point I was at a loss. The wires for both sides are all the same color. 3 dark green and 1 brown. My son put the lights in for me when I was at work, he thought he was helping me. What he didn't tell me was he broke 1 of the clips so his friend has the same truck and he got the 2 new taillight harnesses from him. His friend said he got them off Amazon. So now I'm thinking those might be no good.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks again. I went and popped my head under the back just to see if 1 of the wires was broke. At that point I was at a loss. The wires for both sides are all the same color. 3 dark green and 1 brown. My son put the lights in for me when I was at work, he thought he was helping me. What he didn't tell me was he broke 1 of the clips so his friend has the same truck and he got the 2 new taillight harnesses from him. His friend said he got them off Amazon. So now I'm thinking those might be no good.
you just need to check to be sure they are wired correctly most likely that is the problem.