2010 tahoe led tail light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickct203

Reaction score
I put a set of led tail lights on my 2010 tahoe. I noticed that when I use either turn signal the arrow on the dash blinks fast as hell. When i got home I tried both signals and all 4 turn signals come on. I saw the video to use a resistor for the hyperblinking, but I couldn't find anything for this issue. Can someone tell me what the hell I can do? I replaced the stick tail light housings with LED housings, I also replaced the 2 harnesses for the taillights because 1 of them was in poor shape. I tried both plugs on the light, and I'm just at a loss here

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to install a load resistor for each light to "simulate" the incandescent bulbs. The LEDs draw so little power, the BCM thinks you have a bulb out, causing the hyperflash.

Just Google 2007 2014 Tahoe led load resistor and head down the rabbit hole.

Myself, I always bought LEDs with built-in load resistors.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to install a load resistor for each light to "simulate" the incandescent bulbs. The LEDs draw so little power, the BCM thinks you have a bulb out, causing the hyperflash.

Just Google 2007 2014 Tahoe led load resistor and head down the rabbit hole.

Myself, I always bought LEDs with built-in load resistors.
Yup, my tails have the resistor built in. I also bought an LED all-lights module for my ‘03. Well worth it. Plug n play and no worries about hyper flash, or issues with cruise control, etc.. much cleaner IMHO, than using the standalone resistors. Looks like for your 2010, this relay should work:
XtremeAmazing 3-Pin CF13 Electronic Flasher Relay for Car Vehicle LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs Hyper Blink Flash https://a.co/d/beNAb5U

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, my tails have the resistor built in. I also bought an LED all-lights module for my ‘03. Well worth it. Plug n play and no worries about hyper flash, or issues with cruise control, etc.. much cleaner IMHO, than using the standalone resistors. Looks like for your 2010, this relay should work:
XtremeAmazing 3-Pin CF13 Electronic Flasher Relay for Car Vehicle LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs Hyper Blink Flash https://a.co/d/beNAb5U

The GMT900 trucks don't have a flasher module. Blinking is controlled by the BCM itself. I don't know why Amazon says that fits - they're wrong.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have to add a resistor to each light with a led, they get hot (real hot) so you will want to mount them against/on metal, they will melt plastic and anything that touches them including wires. do not touch one after you have had the lights on it will teach you real fast just like a child getting burnt on a hot stove or pan

OP
OP
N

Nickct203

Reaction score
you have to add a resistor to each light with a led, they get hot (real hot) so you will want to mount them against/on metal, they will melt plastic and anything that touches them including wires. do not touch one after you have had the lights on it will teach you real fast just like a child getting burnt on a hot stove or pan
Ok so add a resistor to each tail light and that'll fix all 4 coming on at once? I'll be doing this when I get out of work today then. Thank you

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so add a resistor to each tail light and that'll fix all 4 coming on at once? I'll be doing this when I get out of work today then. Thank you
as long as you have not changed the front bulbs to led then yes you only need 2, if you change the front you have to do the same to them.
usually aftermarket lights come with a resistor that is either built in plugs in.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fast flash is called hyperflash, and you need to install resistors in those circuits, in order to slow down the flash. I left the hyperflash on mine, as I believe that the fast flash attracts more attention from other motorists, and after all, that is the purpose of the directional signals in the first place. I will note that hyperflash is illegal in some states.

OP
OP
N

Nickct203

Reaction score
I know it's been a few weeks but I finally installed the resistors and it still didn't fix my problem. The hyperflash isn't my issue. My issue is whenever I use my directional all 4 come on. I signal left all 4 come on, I signal right all 4 come on. Idk if it's an issue with the taillights themselves or what. But I have no clue how to fix this.
The fast flash is called hyperflash, and you need to install resistors in those circuits, in order to slow down the flash. I left the hyperflash on mine, as I believe that the fast flash attracts more attention from other motorists, and after all, that is the purpose of the directional signals in the first place. I will note that hyperflash is illegal in some states.
The fast flash is called hyperflash, and you need to install resistors in those circuits, in order to slow down the flash. I left the hyperflash on mine, as I believe that the fast flash attracts more attention from other motorists, and after all, that is the purpose of the directional signals in the first place. I will note that hyperflash is illegal in some states

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the whole resistor workaround. Resistors convert electrical energy into thermal energy - heat. I’ve heard the resistors get too hot to touch, but I don’t know this for sure. But that’s a lot of energy. So your power draw and current probably actually goes up with the resistor inline in series with the LED fixture. LED on the stop lights and flashers in an old GM SUV is a solution looking for a problem that causes another problem, is what I think. Why not just replace the fixture with new crystal fixture (or polish the old one) and use LEDs for the backup lights and 3157 incandescent clear and amber for the stop light and flashing turn signal lights?

By the way, have you checked your Cruise Control?