2010 Suburban 100k Cleanup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverDon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This summer I should have our 2010 Sub finished paid off (love that 0% from GM) and wanted to make some updates and fixes so we can drive it another 100k.

Front end has been making some clunks. So far fixed a broken away bar link (or bolt) and replaced the lower control arms. I just ordered all the strut pieces save for the coil springs to redo the front strut assemblies. Yes, I am throwing parts at it but since I am doing the work myself and getting things mail order I see no harm in doing the front end at the 95k miles.

I also needed new tires. Kept with the Firestone Destination AT's but went a little taller - 255/60-20. And went with some GMC Yukon 6 spoke with exposed lugs in a gloss black. SS lugs are and "polished" center caps are on order.

OP
OP
R

RoverDon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics of the lower control arm install:

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1824.jpg
    IMG_1824.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 23

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good plan in place to do some good maintenance updates :waytogo: These are also good times to think if you want to do any mods/upgrades while you're replacing parts such as if you want to lower or lift it and things of that nature :)

Also....welcome to the no payment group. It's a wonderful place to be! :D

OP
OP
R

RoverDon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good plan in place to do some good maintenance updates :waytogo: These are also good times to think if you want to do any mods/upgrades while you're replacing parts such as if you want to lower or lift it and things of that nature :)

Also....welcome to the no payment group. It's a wonderful place to be! :D

Thanks!

I figured I would document what I am doing just in case someone else is doing the same. This is our 3rd Sub (well the 2nd one was a 2007 GMC YXL) and I grew up helping the old man work on GMC and Chevy trucks and Blazers (actually learned to drive on a '69 GMC 3/4 ton plow truck) so I've been around them but this is the first one since I was a kid that I'm doing some of the repairs myself.

BTW - how much is it to turn off the ads? :D

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Found how to pay - much easier to read now!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I figured I would document what I am doing just in case someone else is doing the same. This is our 3rd Sub (well the 2nd one was a 2007 GMC YXL) and I grew up helping the old man work on GMC and Chevy trucks and Blazers (actually learned to drive on a '69 GMC 3/4 ton plow truck) so I've been around them but this is the first one since I was a kid that I'm doing some of the repairs myself.

BTW - how much is it to turn off the ads? :D

And good documentation it is :) We can always use more knowledge sharing that helps others out so the entire community appreciates it :D

I believe becoming a Supporting Member can be as little as $10/year and that'll turn down a lot of the ads. There's a link near that top right that says "Become a Supporting Member" :Handshake:

OP
OP
R

RoverDon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And good documentation it is :) We can always use more knowledge sharing that helps others out so the entire community appreciates it :D

I believe becoming a Supporting Member can be as little as $10/year and that'll turn down a lot of the ads. There's a link near that top right that says "Become a Supporting Member" :Handshake:

I am doing a frame up build on an old Rover and document that best I can. I find posting helps both ways as someone always has a good tip or sees a mistake I did.

Found the link and just PP'd - nice to have a lot less ads!

OP
OP
R

RoverDon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced one of the left front strut yesterday. I am going to order upper control arms and just have everything up front 100% as the upper control arm bushings were looking a little haggered on the left side.

2 things to note:

1 - a deep 18mm socket is needed to pop the top nut off. I had to run out and get one while the strut was in the vise. I also cleaned up the top 3 bolt mount and a little bit of the lower spring and shot it with brake caliper paint.

2 - the top 3 bolt mount goes in a certain direction and the plastic mount under it has 2 ways to install. I did it the wrong way at first and had to pull things apart.

I only got one pic right before reinstall.

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
R

RoverDon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear compressor has been making a ton of noise over the last few months. The other day I couldn't even have a conversation standing near the rear of the Sub.

Got the compressor delivered today and had the new one installed within 30 minutes. Most of the time was running back and forth to the garage for the right wrench.

Front upper control arms came in as well so hope to do those next week along with swap the strut on the passenger side.

Just one pic of the old compressor - definitely time for a new one!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426279749.141500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts