2010 ESV tranny issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think it's not a tranny issue.
This morning after a few weeks of no problems the issue came up again and killed the engine.

The problem happens with 3-5 min of start up after the truck has been sitting for 12+ hours
Engine is not warmed up yet, driving at about 20-25 mph and low rpm.
Engine died (1st time this has happened) could not restart immediately but could after a few min and drove it to a spot. Didn't lose electrical power.
Waited 30 min and then decided to drive 15 miles w/o issue.
No CEL, no visual issues with newer battery, new alt, and existing cables.
Idel rpm seems low, wanders around 500 rpm at tach. Relearned throttle and now around 600 rpm.

Not sure where to start, any help?
A poor battery connection can still manifest this way. After I had the airbag recall done on my 2012, they forgot to tighten down one of the battery terminals. The engine died while I was pulling out into traffic. I was able to drift backward into the road I was pulling out of, and first thing I did was check the battery because I knew the techs would've needed to disconnect it to perform the recall. Sure enough, loose terminal. Regardless of the actual source, I suspect your issue is electrical as well.

You need a Tech2 to be able to scan all of the modules and look for codes. Chances are it's leaving a digital signature when it happens.

OP
OP

77mercury77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I was driving around at 5am and didn't precieve any light or electrical loss. My first feeling that something was wrong was I noticed something with rpm and then power steering went out. Lights stayed on the whole time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would invest #25-30 in a fuel pressure tester and monitor the fuel pressure, you should have 50-65 psi key-on, and minimum 43-44 running and it should stay pretty steady.
this is just to rule it in or out and in my opinion is where you should start for this kind of issue.

OP
OP

77mercury77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Around 58 psi start up. Idle 42.6 to 43.9 low/high but usually bouncing around 43.1 and 43.5 psi. First gear run the same results, a high around 44 and change at 3k rpms.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to monitor the fuel pressure (as @Doubeleive noted) to see what happens to it when the issue occurs. Long hose and tape it to the outside of the windshield.

First pressure test is key on, engine off (KOEO), not starting. What's the first pressure that it gets to, and does it bleed off quickly or stay solid?

OP
OP

77mercury77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before I ran it I saw around 77 during my first measurements which was after about 10 hours sitting. After running and turning truck off getting 81.8 steady

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I ran it I saw around 77 during my first measurements which was after about 10 hours sitting. After running and turning truck off getting 81.8 steady
that's not what it should be, check it running and pull a couple spark plugs to see if they are wet.
What can cause high fuel pressure?

Possible causes of high fuel pressure readings are the following: Faulty fuel pressure regulator. Restrictions in return line. Faulty fuel line couplings at fuel tank.

OP
OP

77mercury77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am still having issues with the truck.
I left the truck at a local shop for a week shortly after my last post due to another episode. They were unable to recreate the issue or find any problems in the engine or trans.

I took the truck home, replaced the TPS, cleaned and regreased the battery terminals and cables, cleaned the MAF, and changed the oil.

The issue went away for several months until recently. I am still experienceing a drop or jump in RPM about 5-10 min after start up in the morning. It doesnt always happen and I have been trying to capture this on a data logger. The issue with data logging is that i have to remove a Range AFM module so after days of recording with out issue I go back to normal driving. Some times the issue is subtle and sometimes it is severe enough to stall the engine or cuase the truck lunge forward uncontrollably. It has occured while stopped at a light, while coasting, and under light throttle. Once the issue occurs the truck drives fine for the rest of the day. No Engine or Trans codes and no CEL or DIC messages. I dont see a correlation with weather; so hot or cold days, humid, dry or rainy.

The files below show an event that occured today was rather subtle. While pulling away from a red light and under light throttle the RPMs dropped a few times and then stabilized.

Looking at RPMs v Engine Load around sample 160 shows two drops in RPM and spike in load. This also comes up in the RPM v throttle position at the same time. It could be a sensor giving bad info or just my body moving forward due to the severity of the event.

I have also plotted RPM v Fuel pressure showing about 290-310 Kpa ( 45-42 psi) and bank 1 fuel trim which bottoms out after the event.

Really need some help figureing this one out.

Attachments

• RPM v EL.jpg
    RPM v EL.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3
  • RPM v TP.jpg
    RPM v TP.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 3
  • RPM v FP.jpg
    RPM v FP.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3
  • RPM v FT.jpg
    RPM v FT.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 4

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need one of the members here who has a lot of experience with tuning these things to have a look. I'm out of my depth. Maybe @Foggy might be able to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2