2009 Yukon XL Denali - Rear Drivers Door Won’t Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in my pic here the red line that should be up all the way and either of the green lines should open the door. Maybe the child safety lock is enabled?

View attachment 410070

I have pulled on the exterior door latch and it won’t pop open the door. I didn’t check if child safety lock was enabled when I installed the actuator so that might be part of my problem. But the exterior handle should still open the door when it is in the unlock position. I’ve been fighting with this for two days if I can’t figure it out today I’m just going to wait to bring it to the shop. What a pain in the ass lol

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have pulled on the exterior door latch and it won’t pop open the door. I didn’t check if child safety lock was enabled when I installed the actuator so that might be part of my problem. But then exterior handle should still open the door when it is in the unlock position. I’ve been fighting with this for two days if I can’t figure it out today I’m just going to wait to bring it to the shop. What a pain in the ass lol
Is the linkage moving? It could be misadjusted. Pop that orange clip open and move the lever by hand.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the linkage moving? It could be misadjusted. Pop that orange clip open and move the lever by hand.

That’s what isn’t working. I have opened the door this way before and it worked in the past but when I try and move the lever now by hand nothing happens. Really at a loss what to do hopefully the shop can figure it out. Don’t know how I managed to replace handles on three of my doors perfectly and the one I replace an actuator on is the one that won’t work now FML

Last edited:
OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow got it open ! I pulled up on the interior door catch and it finally opened. The child lock was NOT activated so I’m really wondering what could be causing this to not open on the inside or outside. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow got it open ! I pulled up on the interior door catch and it finally opened. The child lock was NOT activated so I’m really wondering what could be causing this to not open on the inside or outside. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

View attachment 410079

View attachment 410080
Take it back out and inspect it's operation. I would absolutely not use that one again assuming it was properly installed and linkage properly adjusted. Exchange/replace.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the door to open from both inside and outside but now it won’t latch shut! Any ideas? Both the exterior and interior door handles work to unlatch the actuator as shown in the video, but when the door closes the latch doesn’t engage and hold the door shut. At least I can open it now. Going to tie the door closed with several bungee cords for now until I can get it to the shop tomorrow morning. I’m just happy I was able to get the door open but I have to pick up my kids so my wrenching time today is up.

I found a shop close to me that is going to look at it tomorrow morning, I’m officially throwing in the towel. If they need to replace with another actuator I’ll pay whatever I need to not have to open up this door panel again, especially when the door is locked shut!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy an OEM one.

My mistake was buying a Dorman product. Never again lol

Got a quote from the shop for close to $1000 to fix this so I’m returning my actuator for an AC Delco one and getting a new door handle.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mistake was buying a Dorman product. Never again lol
Lots of Dorman parts or equal to or better than OEM, in my experience. But like any vendor, they have their duds, too. I'm running a Dorman throttle body on my '07 for 40K miles now and a Dorman compressor for the rear suspension for almost that long and both have been terrific.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I don’t think any Dorman part I’ve installed felt anywhere near the quality of OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar