2009 Tahoe stalls on ANY right turn - Solved & Thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to the posters in this forum for the help in fixing my problem.

On my way to my second covid shot on a snow/rainy day, my 2009 Tahoe died while taking a right turn. It started right up after stalling but would die on every right turn. After my shot, on my 35 mile drive back home I avoided right turns or sped up ahead of time to coast through the turn.

Got home, Pulled the codes:

P0606 – generic ECM/PCM fault

P069E – Fuel pump control module requested turn on MIL light

P025A - Fuel Pump Module Control Circuit/Open
And the Freeze frame data showed 0 PSI for fuel pressure.

I put the scan tool into logging mode and took a quick drive. Every right turn the fuel pressure dropped to 0 and the engine stalled.

After reviewing the many pages here, I assumed it was either a loose/bad wire or something with the fuel pump control module.

With the engine running I went under the truck and push/pull on all the wires but the engine stayed running.

After about an hour of dealing with the rusty bolts holding module. I was able to remove the module. I tilted the module as if the truck was turning left, started the engine and it ran fine. I then tilted the module the other way and the engine stalled!

I opened the module up to see if I could determine if something inside was causing the problem. The sealant on the module separated very easily, and then about a shot of water poured out of the module.

Bingo, the water would slosh inside the module during a right turn and kill the fuel pump.

Thanks again for the help.

Here are the pictures of the Pump Control Module after I opened it up.

board1c.jpg Lid2.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great job. That is a very good find and procedure you followed. I used to have a slogan in my shops I ran that I used all the time. "Systems Based Diagnostics"

Instead of heading helter skelter in to a vehicle system, I would tell the guys, and one girl in one shop I ran, start with the info gathered when the vehicle was dropped off. Think it thru, LIKE YOU DID, and figure out what is effected when systems are working and when they are not. Run each test along the way and do not skip tests just because you decide the test is not needed. What is effected by say, a right turn? Engine movement from mounts problems or trans problems from same. The first thing I thought of in your story was when you said you road tested and when turned right you had "0" pressure. I first thought of a fuel tank baffle problem and of course that would impede flow of fluid, but it would not just all of a sudden go from correct fuel pressure to "0". Instant "0" means a problem like an electric switch shut off. I still had not put 2 and 2 together to get water problems that you found. Again, good job.

HD_LS

Reaction score
Outstanding job of finding the problem! And without throwing any parts at it!

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please EDIT your post Title add "SOLVED". Really helps find a solution for searches. Thanks. And Good Work!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the posters in this forum for the help in fixing my problem.

On my way to my second covid shot on a snow/rainy day, my 2009 Tahoe died while taking a right turn. It started right up after stalling but would die on every right turn. After my shot, on my 35 mile drive back home I avoided right turns or sped up ahead of time to coast through the turn.

Got home, Pulled the codes:

P0606 – generic ECM/PCM fault

P069E – Fuel pump control module requested turn on MIL light

P025A - Fuel Pump Module Control Circuit/Open
And the Freeze frame data showed 0 PSI for fuel pressure.

I put the scan tool into logging mode and took a quick drive. Every right turn the fuel pressure dropped to 0 and the engine stalled.

After reviewing the many pages here, I assumed it was either a loose/bad wire or something with the fuel pump control module.

With the engine running I went under the truck and push/pull on all the wires but the engine stayed running.

After about an hour of dealing with the rusty bolts holding module. I was able to remove the module. I tilted the module as if the truck was turning left, started the engine and it ran fine. I then tilted the module the other way and the engine stalled!

I opened the module up to see if I could determine if something inside was causing the problem. The sealant on the module separated very easily, and then about a shot of water poured out of the module.

Bingo, the water would slosh inside the module during a right turn and kill the fuel pump.

Thanks again for the help.

Here are the pictures of the Pump Control Module after I opened it up.

View attachment 276701 View attachment 276702

Good job!! And thanks for the update and sharing the info!!!

davidavidd

Reaction score
@torch thanks for the information, I live in a fairly rainy part, I am going to remove my module to seal it again, I prefer to have my mind at peace and avoid a now known problem.