2009 Late build Tahoes - MAF moved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone aware of this?

I tried to order a VaraRam Tri-Power CAI from Maryland Speed and it was closed out because the '09 is different.

I called VaraRam here in Houston to discuss and they were very helpful. They said the MAF on some / late year build 2009 Tahoes is moved into the air box neck.....built in, with no MAF housing. I went and looked and sure enough, it's the typical MAF electronics screwed into a hole in the air box neck......no separate MAF housing (kind of like an IAT sensor has done for years).

I guess I will just have to wait until solutions are made....VaraRam said it should be soon.

P.S. I have not seen ANYONE on this board use or discuss VaraRam as a CAI option. Is there a reason for this? I have one on my G8 GT and it's pretty much the only way to go (meaning the other options don't perform nearly as good). I'd have one on my vette, if I could make up my mind what I am doing with the car.

Last edited:

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
see id anyone else has a cai for the late 09 modles. i have never heard of vararam

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Anyone aware of this?

I tried to order a VaraRam Tri-Power CAI from Maryland Speed and it was closed out because the '09 is different.

I called VaraRam here in Houston to discuss and they were very helpful. They said the MAF on some / late year build 2009 Tahoes is moved into the air box neck.....built in, with no MAF housing. I went and looked and sure enough, it's the typical MAF electronics screwed into a hole in the air box neck......no separate MAF housing (kind of like an IAT sensor has done for years).

I guess I will just have to wait until solutions are made....VaraRam said it should be soon.

P.S. I have not seen ANYONE on this board use or discuss VaraRam as a CAI option. Is there a reason for this? I have one on my G8 GT and it's pretty much the only way to go (meaning the other options don't perform nearly as good). I'd have one on my vette, if I could make up my mind what I am doing with the car.

I actually posted about this a while back here...

About the MAF sensor... perhaps a pre-09 MAF can be incorporated somehow if the 09's plug/voltage, etc. are the same :shrug: This may allow the 08 kit to work on your 09?

OP
OP
E

elbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, at least someone knows about it.

I'm telling you guys their stuff is "the bee's knees".......at least on the G8 GT(which is the Chevy L76 for those of you who don't know).

Everyone had those blocked off box-style CAIs (generic Volant style), until the Vararam came out and proved to gain more power along with better track times.

I can live with the flex tubing.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Nice rides man.
I was aware aslightly about the MAF change but didn't discuss it as it doe snot apply to me as I have an 07.
What plans do you have for the Tahoe.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very sceptical about aftermarket claims. +30 hp and tq are huge for just an intake and showing 1.4 second decrease in 0-60 times to boot (for Chevy trucks).

I can see this having larger gains then typical CAI because of the ram type intake, but I doubt it is +30 hp/tq for the 5.3Ls. I see they have dynos posted but so do some of the others. I would like to see an independent dyno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyetheguy93