2008 xl fuel filter location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s on the fuel pump module. In other words, it’s not replaceable without dropping the fuel tank at which point you might as well replace the whole fuel pump module which includes the pump, level sender, filter and fuel pressure regulator. Changing a fuel filter is no longer a maintenance item.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no filter, just a sock in the tank that you only change when replacing the pump or sending unit.
It's effective, too. I had a shop pull the pump out of our 2007 a couple of years ago to replace it, and the original plastic fine mesh screen (sock) was still clean. Seems that most gas stations must do a pretty good job of filtering their fuel.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's effective, too. I had a shop pull the pump out of our 2007 a couple of years ago to replace it, and the original plastic fine mesh screen (sock) was still clean. Seems that most gas stations must do a pretty good job of filtering their fuel.
I drove my dealership crazy once, having them look for the fuel filter and steering wheel lock on my Montana! LOL Like, me, they hadn't realized that those features had been done away with on that generation and there were so very few made they did not see them often.

OP
OP
J

johns2008

Reaction score
It’s on the fuel pump module. In other words, it’s not replaceable without dropping the fuel tank at which point you might as well replace the whole fuel pump module which includes the pump, level sender, filter and fuel pressure regulator. Changing a fuel filter is no longer a maintenance item.
Thank you,, I have lost a lot of power in driving up a hill or just starting out accelerating, could the fuel filter be the issue ? or something else

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you,, I have lost a lot of power in driving up a hill or just starting out accelerating, could the fuel filter be the issue ? or something else
It could be a lot of things. Do you have a good code scanner? You should also check fuel pressure at the rail. A fuel pressure gauge can be purchased at Harbor Freight for pretty cheap and it’s possible to set it up so you can see it while you’re driving to see if your pressure drops off. Or if the fuel pump module has never been replaced on an 08 I would just replace it as a preventative maintenance measure and see if it fixes the issue. At that age it’s going to go out soon anyway and it’s better to get it replaced before it leaves you stranded. It usually happens on a full tank too which makes it hard to drop the tank. Run it low on fuel first or pump the tank out before doing this job, it’s much easier. Keep us updated.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, because you don't have one.
The sock is a strainer, true and not a real filter. But the sock in my 08 Silverado plugged up terribly and it starved the engine of fuel so bad that it was coughing and choking and I barely made it home. I have to say this was probably an aberration. That truck has an aluminum fuel cell and I had installed the pump with a silicone that was supposed to be fuel resistant. Obviously it wasn’t completely resistant because the “squish out” from around the flange on the inside eventually disintegrated enough to break into chunks and fall into the bottom of the tank. The sock filtered this debris from entering the fuel system or else I would have been screwed- everything would have been plugged especially the injectors if it made it that far. I don’t think it filters down to tiny particles but it definitely worked in my case. I read that fuel delivery systems have filters in place now so we don’t have to really worry about it unless we cause the problem as in -ahem- me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo