2008 Tahoe Z71 Steering "drift"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnMartyH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe Z71, stock vehicle @240k miles that has recently started having some uncommanded movement in steering. Beginning last week, I have had about 3 occasions (despite driving daily) where the vehicle suddenly appears to drift to the right w/o any steering input from the driver. It corrects w/ the wheel and then no longer feels as if there is anything wrong after that point (steering feels tight/appropriate). In addition to this, today I noticed that while driving straight, suddenly my steering wheel was now in a 10 degree rotation clockwise. Moments later, "straight" was back to normal steering position (steering wheel at neutral). Can anyone help guide me on what I should be looking at for this? The vehicle was in the shop 2 days ago w/ this issue reported. They said steering linkages looked fine.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
1. Also getting intermittent "Stabilitrak Off/Service Traction Control"
2. I have a little motion and clunking when in reverse with my wheels turned that has been going on since I bought the vehicle a year ago.
3. I have replaced all front suspension component on both sides in the last 12 months (upper/lower control arms + ball joints, tie rods, wheel hubs, cv axles, sway bar bushings and linkages), so I do suspect the issue is somewhere inboard of these parts.

Appreciate any help.... Thanks!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi John,

Have you checked the steering linkages? While I don't know it well, it is in several pieces, both under the hood and under the dash. There are bushings and screws that could be the cause of your woes.

OP
OP
JohnMartyH

JohnMartyH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. The shop it was at 2 days ago said they checked the linkages and didn't notice anything wrong, but unsure how aggressively they looked.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The shop it was at 2 days ago said they checked the linkages and didn't notice anything wrong, but unsure how aggressively they looked.
When those stabilitrak messages come up, there ought to be stored codes and a snapshot of what was going on when it happened. This data is accessed with a bi-directional scan tool like the Tech-2. The steering wheel angle position sensor may also have codes associated with it.

Am looking at a troubleshooting guide but not coming up with anything close to what you describe. Might be binding in the column. Might be time to take it in to the dealership for a diagnostic check.

OP
OP
JohnMartyH

JohnMartyH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I should add that I have an OBD-II scanner and there are no codes associated with any of the scans at this point.

I cannot abide dealerships and their absurd markups, so I'm gonna work it from my own angle for now. thanks for the inputs!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe Z71, stock vehicle @240k miles that has recently started having some uncommanded movement in steering. Beginning last week, I have had about 3 occasions (despite driving daily) where the vehicle suddenly appears to drift to the right w/o any steering input from the driver. It corrects w/ the wheel and then no longer feels as if there is anything wrong after that point (steering feels tight/appropriate). In addition to this, today I noticed that while driving straight, suddenly my steering wheel was now in a 10 degree rotation clockwise. Moments later, "straight" was back to normal steering position (steering wheel at neutral). Can anyone help guide me on what I should be looking at for this? The vehicle was in the shop 2 days ago w/ this issue reported. They said steering linkages looked fine.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
1. Also getting intermittent "Stabilitrak Off/Service Traction Control"
2. I have a little motion and clunking when in reverse with my wheels turned that has been going on since I bought the vehicle a year ago.
3. I have replaced all front suspension component on both sides in the last 12 months (upper/lower control arms + ball joints, tie rods, wheel hubs, cv axles, sway bar bushings and linkages), so I do suspect the issue is somewhere inboard of these parts.

Appreciate any help.... Thanks!
Had another thought, when was the last time the brakes were serviced? How old are the calipers? I had a caliper hang up once that caused the truck to pull to one side.

OP
OP
JohnMartyH

JohnMartyH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did new brakes and rotors myself in the last 12 months

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add that I have an OBD-II scanner and there are no codes associated with any of the scans at this point.

I cannot abide dealerships and their absurd markups, so I'm gonna work it from my own angle for now. thanks for the inputs!
unless your obd scanner is a very good one it won't read any stabiltrac errors those codes are not obd codes, your standard obd reader will just come back with a blank.
most scanners that read those type of codes are in the $500+ range, the clone tech2's run about $300

also even though all this work was performed doesn't mean anything (especially after 12 months), one or more of those parts could have been defective or failed or even not installed properly, could be a wheel bearing, tie rod, sticky caliper, crap alignment, worn bushings, rack-n-pinion, control arm, a bolt. or even something else
the entire front end needs to be looked over if it's not something flat out poking you in the eye.

the front ends of the gmt900's are tons better than the gmt800's this problem should be easy to find.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it aint a hub bearing.....its a ball joint(s) causing the havoc. Very easy to check. If you dont know how, there are vids on youtube on how to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts