2008 Tahoe LTZ engine and transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irishrob82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I own a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and I'm looking at replacing the drivetrain. I want an all new engine and all new transmission. Is there someplace online that you can recommend i find both of these? I have asked around where I live (Albany, NY) and there's really no one I can trust to find me what I want or even do the install. So I would be willing to travel for this. Any suggestions?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I own a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and I'm looking at replacing the drivetrain. I want an all new engine and all new transmission. Is there someplace online that you can recommend i find both of these? I have asked around where I live (Albany, NY) and there's really no one I can trust to find me what I want or even do the install. So I would be willing to travel for this. Any suggestions?
These are not difficult trucks to work on, so most any shop should have the capability to do what you're looking for. I use a local shop here (Atlee Auto) that installs Jasper reman engines and transmissions and does great work. I would guess you're looking at $12K +- out the door for the whole kit and caboodle. I would also replace the motor mounts, radiator and transmission cooler as part of the job.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple quick questions as to why and worth:

1. Is the truck really clean and rust free? I can't imagine so if it's a NY vehicle it whole life.
2. Purpose of new drivetrain?

I'd say if it was a cream puff, no rust, and everything was in great shape, it could be an economical way to get a lot more life from a vehicle for WAY less than a new one. If it's rusty, you may be opening a can or worms that will be both frustrating and unfruitful. I say this for 2 reasons: 1st the headache or dealing with corrosion and the snowball affect it can have on price (more labor and needed parts potentially). 2nd the ROI isn't going to be there long term if the vehicle falls apart around the new drivetrain.

As far as parts, try car-parts.com and put in your vehicle info. I've had good luck finding auto recyclers near me for items over the years. You can probably find a complete setup that way.

The other option is to just take it to a GM dealership and put in a CERTA ENGINE AND TRANS. They come with a nationwide 3 yr/100k warranty.

OP
OP
I

irishrob82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a couple quick questions as to why and worth:

1. Is the truck really clean and rust free? I can't imagine so if it's a NY vehicle it whole life.
2. Purpose of new drivetrain?

I'd say if it was a cream puff, no rust, and everything was in great shape, it could be an economical way to get a lot more life from a vehicle for WAY less than a new one. If it's rusty, you may be opening a can or worms that will be both frustrating and unfruitful. I say this for 2 reasons: 1st the headache or dealing with corrosion and the snowball affect it can have on price (more labor and needed parts potentially). 2nd the ROI isn't going to be there long term if the vehicle falls apart around the new drivetrain.

As far as parts, try car-parts.com and put in your vehicle info. I've had good luck finding auto recyclers near me for items over the years. You can probably find a complete setup that way.

The other option is to just take it to a GM dealership and put in a CERTA ENGINE AND TRANS. They come with a nationwide 3 yr/100k warranty.
The truck was my fathers and he took extremely good care of it. There's only 1 small rust spot on the bottom of the rear hatch (going into the shop in a few weeks to have that repaired) otherwise its a creampuff. You wouldn't know that the truck has 325,000+ miles by looking at it. I'm looking to replace it because it is tired and I want to keep the truck for as long as I can and keep the reliability. The truck still drives like new (ride quality is like it just came off the show room floor) but I have had to replace parts in the motor that I just feel replacing the drivetrain with new will get me a few years at least of no major engine issues. Maybe I'm wrong?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck was my fathers and he took extremely good care of it. There's only 1 small rust spot on the bottom of the rear hatch (going into the shop in a few weeks to have that repaired) otherwise its a creampuff. You wouldn't know that the truck has 325,000+ miles by looking at it. I'm looking to replace it because it is tired and I want to keep the truck for as long as I can and keep the reliability. The truck still drives like new (ride quality is like it just came off the show room floor) but I have had to replace parts in the motor that I just feel replacing the drivetrain with new will get me a few years at least of no major engine issues. Maybe I'm wrong?
I assumed you had your reasons so I didn't offer you alternatives. I think you're right that it will give you many more years of reliable operation, and if you can afford the price tag, then more power to you. That said, it's by no means the only way to get some more years of reliability. Other options:

1/ Swap in a low-mileage engine and transmission combo from a junkyard.
2/ Have your engine and transmission rebuilt and reinstalled.
3/ Help us understand the complete service history of the truck so that we can recommend tactical next steps based on what we know about the service and repair needs of these trucks.

Keep in mind though that the reliability of your truck will also be governed by things beyond the engine and transmission, such as the fuel pump in the tank, the vapor recovery system, charging system, the heating/cooling system, the charging system, etc. If you decide to move ahead with the engine and transmission swap, we can recommend other things to have the shop replace while they're at it.

OP
OP
I

irishrob82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I assumed you had your reasons so I didn't offer you alternatives. I think you're right that it will give you many more years of reliable operation, and if you can afford the price tag, then more power to you. That said, it's by no means the only way to get some more years of reliability. Other options:

1/ Swap in a low-mileage engine and transmission combo from a junkyard.
2/ Have your engine and transmission rebuilt and reinstalled.
3/ Help us understand the complete service history of the truck so that we can recommend tactical next steps based on what we know about the service and repair needs of these trucks.

Keep in mind though that the reliability of your truck will also be governed by things beyond the engine and transmission, such as the fuel pump in the tank, the vapor recovery system, charging system, the heating/cooling system, the charging system, etc. If you decide to move ahead with the engine and transmission swap, we can recommend other things to have the shop replace while they're at it.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's just money the dealer will be happy to take it from you. Like Dave said probably looking at $12k, my guess is more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons