2008 Tahoe hybrid oil capacity after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did a full tear down and rebuild of my 2008 Chevy Tahoe. How much oil does it take to fill it from completely empty in the hybrid LFA 6.0 vin 5?

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To give context to this. I just pulled the block out, flipped it over and completely rebuilt the engine from the crank up. I put it back in put oil in it and coolant and everything else. I had oil pressure at 40 to 80 psi and then the oil pressure slowly drops to zero I let the engine go into hybrid mode and when the engine kicks back on it jumps the oil pressure right back up. I checked the oil dipstick and didn’t see any oil on it so started to add oil. I’ve added a lot of oil and expect to see it on the dipstick but it’s still not showing up. So I don’t know if there’s part of the system that needs to be refilled with oil since it was fully drained or what. I saw 1 site that stated it needed 15 qt from rebuild…. I’m lost.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15qt sounds like the tranny fluid amount..

oil is 6qt ish, same as any other ls. which size filter and if you have a oil cooler or bit well add a bit. but usually less than a qt. mine doesn't have a oil cooler, but I don't know if any other did.

but no, all I've seen in the shop manual is oil capacity with and without filter. nothing about fresh rebuild. but I wouldn't expect more than a 1/4qt to 1/2qt or so different once primmed.

do you know how much total old you've put in it so far?

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up putting 6 quarts in. It was the transmission that I read for 15+\- quarts. I was just tired and misread lol
The rebuild so far has gone really well. With the exception of a bad sensor everything sounds great and it’s in great running order. I’ll post a new thread about that as I posted a thread about a previous rebuild. It did not go so well.
Thanks for your reply, though!

I had added two extra quartz of oil and was uncomfortable adding anymore. So I ended up draining that back off. The issue ended up being a bad oil pressure, sending unit and because the engine is so clean. I couldn’t see the oil on the dipstick. Not that that’s a bad problem necessarily lol.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad you got it running.. sorry about the bad luck. these oil pressure sensors and the lack of being able to find good parts. the oem being the best, but it's still not as reliable as I think it should be and fake oem parts all over Amazon, it's getting hard to fix stuff these days.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been debating adding mechanical gauges but I have to keep the original ones working or the computer will freak out so it wouldn’t make sense with the exception of having a reliable gauge haha

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been debating adding mechanical gauges but I have to keep the original ones working or the computer will freak out so it wouldn’t make sense with the exception of having a reliable gauge haha

I didn't know this but they make oil sensor extension kits, so you can move it to where it's eazy to get to at that point you could also T off it to a real gauge. bit over priced but I think you could make one too. there's also a block off plate down above the oil filter, you can get those with a threaded boss for sensor too. my buddy as a 04 zo6 and that's where they put their gauge. there's even a oil plug in the front side of the engine that can read pretty straight off the oil pump before all the bypasses and stuff. ebay has the m16 I think it is to 1/8 npt plugs for it pretty cheap. I bought some to prime my ls3 thru there. but could easily screw a sensor in.

if you have the afm working, it's best to have a sensor up there thou so you know you have good oil pressure going to the lifters, as it seems how long they last depends directly on getting high pressure clean oil to run them.

Attachments

• Img_2024_03_31_16_36_27.jpeg
    Img_2024_03_31_16_36_27.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To give context to this. I just pulled the block out, flipped it over and completely rebuilt the engine from the crank up. I put it back in put oil in it and coolant and everything else. I had oil pressure at 40 to 80 psi and then the oil pressure slowly drops to zero I let the engine go into hybrid mode and when the engine kicks back on it jumps the oil pressure right back up. I checked the oil dipstick and didn’t see any oil on it so started to add oil. I’ve added a lot of oil and expect to see it on the dipstick but it’s still not showing up. So I don’t know if there’s part of the system that needs to be refilled with oil since it was fully drained or what. I saw 1 site that stated it needed 15 qt from rebuild…. I’m lost.
15qt is for the transmission

6qt oil change at the most can do 6.5qt safely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21