2008 Suspension Upgrades - Bilstein's or Height Adjustable Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from aftermarket shocks to all OEM suspension parts, except for front springs, which are no longer manufactured, so I used Moog exact replacement springs. I replaced shocks, springs, upper and lower control arms (which come with the new ball joints already attached) in the front, and replaced the shocks and springs in the rear.

I'm completely happy with the setup.

Californian

Reaction score
Mike, so you have not installed the 5100's yet, correct? If not, have you drove in a Tahoe/Yukon with them installed. Wondering how they feel compared to OEM.
No i have not rode in a truck with them yet. The guy I was talking to did my combo in a GM truck and explain the ride difference to me. I will be leaving the front shock at 0 lift so I am not preloading the front springs for as soft ride as possible from them. I expect it to be a little stiffer and more positive feeling and not a Cadillac style ride.

FYI my 6112's were just pushed back another month..... said April now. SMH

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
That sucks. I tow a small trailer sometimes on my 11 burb LT 1500rwd and do some mild hill adventure. The stock crap sucks now. Was hoping to order some 5100s paired with moog 81069 instead of the 4600s, but with back orders, never mind! I'll settle with the
4600s. I really feel for ya. Hope you get them soon!

bobsburban

Reaction score
Hi Sunny - I've been running Bilstein 5100s for 18 months now on my 2011 LTZ Suburban. Got rid of the air ride stuff so I wouldn't have to replace it every 75k miles. I did install Moog's 1250 lb rear springs (I think those are the Z71-spec springs), which added 1.5 - 2" of lift in the rear. I leveled the front by just using the first spring perch from the bottom on the front shocks with the stock LTZ springs. I saw no need for any kind of leveling kit and everything has been fine from day one. Like you, I run a fair amount of NFS and BLM roads and the shocks provide a well-behaved ride on both those trails and the highway. No floating or anything. Washboards are tough, but I think unless you let a lot of air out of your tires, they're tough with anyone's shocks.

I'll get the stiffer Moog front springs if I ever add any weight to the front of the truck (unlikely).

OP
OP
SunnyInCo

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
Hi Sunny - I've been running Bilstein 5100s for 18 months now on my 2011 LTZ Suburban. Got rid of the air ride stuff so I wouldn't have to replace it every 75k miles. I did install Moog's 1250 lb rear springs (I think those are the Z71-spec springs), which added 1.5 - 2" of lift in the rear. I leveled the front by just using the first spring perch from the bottom on the front shocks with the stock LTZ springs. I saw no need for any kind of leveling kit and everything has been fine from day one. Like you, I run a fair amount of NFS and BLM roads and the shocks provide a well-behaved ride on both those trails and the highway. No floating or anything. Washboards are tough, but I think unless you let a lot of air out of your tires, they're tough with anyone's shocks.

I'll get the stiffer Moog front springs if I ever add any weight to the front of the truck (unlikely).
Thanks for the info.

Tyrant

Reaction score
I have 5100s in the rear (2008 Suburban, 1500 4WD), with around 50K on them. They aren't very soft, but they are extremely stable even at high speeds, despite mine being lifted.

It is the only lifted vehicle I have ever driven that didn't feel the slightest bit squirrely at 80+ MPH. My front struts aren't 5100s, but I will say that they are much rougher than the rears when it comes to everything from rumble strips to speedbumps. Digressive shocks/struts offer that trade-off... I can hit a large bump at 40 with less discomfort than hitting smaller bumps at 20.

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my set up. I am pleased with it. I previously had a suspension maxx kit on it that retained the autoride and magneride. it was fine, but my stock shocks and struts were quite old and I decided to go this route rather than replace with stock.

2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Icon 2.5 Coilovers at 2.5" lift front (71505) I really wanted to go the reservoir w/ CDCV route because I drive in really varied conditions and loads/ towing, but availability was really bad at the time, and they're pricy. I'm happy. A little harsh in town if anything. I only got to take them on a trail once prior to adding the winch/ bumper. Might need to change my springs for the added weight.
Icon 2.0 rear shocks (76526) - they aren't anything special. similar to Bilstein's. Rebuildable, but probably not worth it at the price point.
Cognito Upper Control Arms
Dobinson 2" lift rear springs (C09-045) - the stock coils with autoride are quite soft, if you delete those shocks you will sag. Moog springs and a spacer probably work just as well.
I added Air Lift helper bags for towing (you'll need 60912 or 60913 for Dobinson springs)
SDE magneride and autoride delete shockdeletes.com
Baseline Overland Suburban Roof Rack Yukon XL 2007 2014_1780 (47).JPG

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I tow a small trailer sometimes on my 11 burb LT 1500rwd and do some mild hill adventure. The stock crap sucks now. Was hoping to order some 5100s paired with moog 81069 instead of the 4600s, but with back orders, never mind! I'll settle with the
4600s. I really feel for ya. Hope you get them soon!
How was the ride after you put in Moog springs and the 4600s?How was the ride after you put in Moog springs and the 4600s?

MagicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pfft no. Not because I don't want to, but because I ran into the AFM/DOD issue. Mechanic finished the AFM Delete and its running great. Unfortunately my budget for upgrades went to Engine.

None-the-less, I'll look to do these in the future. BlackBear might require I do the extensive upgrades; particularly a 1-Speed to 2-Speed TC swap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission