2008 Suspension Upgrades - Bilstein's or Height Adjustable Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have a 2008 Yukon with about 110,000 miles, purchased brand new in 2007. Its been a great vehicle but starting to need new suspension. I do some light forest service roads in the summer and fall here in the Colorado mountains. For example, if you are familiar with Leavenworth Creek/Waldorf Mine, I drove up there in October and on a half dozen or so dispersed camping roads. Like most people, 90 something percent of miles will still be on pavement.

I have been looking at the Bilstein 5100's and I know a lot of people like those, but also just watched a video talking about the 6112 series from Shock Surplus. He said the 6100's will be better on and off road than the 5100's. I would like to raise the front a little if possible using an adjustable shock for more clearance, but also wonder if there are ride height adjustable shocks on the market people like. Thinking something like a switch in the Tahoe to raise and lower as needed, similar to the new vehicles now.

I know there are a lot of discussions on the 5100's in the forums but did not find much on the 6112 series. Thoughts in general and about ride quality?
If it matters, I do not have the air shocks (if that is what they are called) some newer models have.

Last edited:

Californian

Reaction score
I chose to go with the Bilstein 6112 front and 5160 rear. If you go that route be prepared for a 6 month or longer backorder. my 6112's keep getting pushed back a month every time the deadline approaches. The 5160's I might be lucky to get by June. I ordered them in November. Just so FYI for you.

MagicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm also looking into the Bilstein 5100 for my Colorado adventures. My research was initially aimed at the spacers for the front end level. I finally landed on the 5100's for both the performance and leveling abilities. Part of my thinking (wrong or right), was that the 5100s were probably the best bang for the buck considering what I want to do as compared to the 6100s.

OP
OP
SunnyInCo

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
I'm also looking into the Bilstein 5100 for my Colorado adventures. My research was initially aimed at the spacers for the front end level. I finally landed on the 5100's for both the performance and leveling abilities. Part of my thinking (wrong or right), was that the 5100s were probably the best bang for the buck considering what I want to do as compared to the 6100s.
Mike, so you have not installed the 5100's yet, correct? If not, have you drove in a Tahoe/Yukon with them installed. Wondering how they feel compared to OEM.

OP
OP
SunnyInCo

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
I chose to go with the Bilstein 6112 front and 5160 rear. If you go that route be prepared for a 6 month or longer backorder. my 6112's keep getting pushed back a month every time the deadline approaches. The 5160's I might be lucky to get by June. I ordered them in November. Just so FYI for you.
Damn. I was not expecting that sort of backlog. Have you rode in a Tahoe/Yukon with this setup? Wondering how they are compared to OEM.

MagicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mike, so you have not installed the 5100's yet, correct? If not, have you drove in a Tahoe/Yukon with them installed. Wondering how they feel compared to OEM.
No I have not installed them yet. No I haven’t had a ride in Tahoe/Yukon with them either.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SunnyInCo I have been running 5100's for a year. They are heavy duty shocks and they can take a beating. They are not a soft boaty ride, they are firm and soak up dips and bumps. I run mine on heavy duty springs, they are probably softer with factory springs.

OP
OP
SunnyInCo

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
What about another 14 years with the GM OE shocks and struts? They were custom made for your truck's configuration and are not universal.
Sorry not following. Are you saying you would go with OEM and not mess with aftermarket components?