2008 Suburban AC Compressor Pulley Bearing or Clutch Failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjo716

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Suburban and it's still running great. After no use due to winter, turned AC on a few days ago and it ran fine. Turned on again yesterday and she squealed. Don't see where I can upload a video.

Not sure what part(s) is bad. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also, what's a fair price for the repair or replacement?

Thanks in advance

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Suburban and it's still running great. After no use due to winter, turned AC on a few days ago and it ran fine. Turned on again yesterday and she squealed. Don't see where I can upload a video.

Thanks in advance
To upload a video you can just upload it to YouTube with public permissions and link it back here.

When it squeals can you see the compressor turning? Are you sure that’s where the squealing is coming from?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. Upload to youtube and link it here for us to watch.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

me88

Reaction score
I had my clutch disintegrate recently, check what yours looks like and if you have molten rubber residue anywhere around it. It squeaked for maybe three seconds at most.

Removed the broken AC compressor clutch today. The rubber part of the clutch must have separated last time I drove it (making horrible squeaking noises), then it melted due to the pulley still rotating and not driving the compressor anymore and while this happened the clutch gap went to zero and it burned the friction surface too. The whole clutch is toast, but thankfully the compressor seems fine. There is no oily residue of any kind on the shaft and it spins smoothly. The Nachi bearing in the clutch was fine by the way.

This is supposed to be one piece:
View attachment 397102

If your clutch is fine you can look into the pulley bearing, it's a size commonly used for Denso AC compressors and others (35 x 52 x 22 mm).

Last edited:

acmech1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I Think your a/c compressor is locked up . Time for a new compressor .Look at the oil in the old comp. if metal shavings you should look at the orvice tube , clean new compressor if metal you need condenser good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE