2008 5.3 Engine Oil/Filter + Octane Rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought it would be good to close this out with some install images and an update:

All things considered, everything went well. I did this in early January and haven't experienced any oil or vacuum leaks resulting from the install. Oil loss is still occurring, due to the pre-existing leak--which I now suspect is my oil pan gasket--but quite marginal even when I drive aggressively and at sustained high speeds. Also, the OCC is doing its job and collecting small increments of very dark fluid. I may post an image of that here or in a separate thread (see below) with the associated mileage and accurate measurement of fluid--which I don't have on hand at the moment.

This thread evolved from an oil and octane inquiry into something far more comprehensive, much to my benefit (thank you!), so I am going to move any further details of my oil leak--as well as other issues I am chasing--into more organized posts.

Two additional items of note for those who read this before doing similar work, especially if as inexperienced as I was:

-There are two types of PCV inlet elbows that could be on your intake manifold: one is removable and the other is NOT. I saw a post or two about this after-the-fact, but was initially under the impression that mine was removable because the Moroso instructions (with images) for my vehicle stated so. The instructions were lacking in the second possibility. Just putting that out there.

-While the driver side valve cover I removed is original for the manufacturing year (I believe), the teal gasket is not (most likely Fel-Pro)--replaced as part of the AFM delete.

Attachments

• Finished Install.jpg
    Finished Install.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Valve Cover Removed.jpg
    Valve Cover Removed.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Original Valve Cover.jpg
    Original Valve Cover.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Old vs New.jpg
    Old vs New.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 10

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be good to close this out with some install images and an update:

All things considered, everything went well. I did this in early January and haven't experienced any oil or vacuum leaks resulting from the install. Oil loss is still occurring, due to the pre-existing leak--which I now suspect is my oil pan gasket--but quite marginal even when I drive aggressively and at sustained high speeds. Also, the OCC is doing its job and collecting small increments of very dark fluid. I may post an image of that here or in a separate thread (see below) with the associated mileage and accurate measurement of fluid--which I don't have on hand at the moment.

This thread evolved from an oil and octane inquiry into something far more comprehensive, much to my benefit (thank you!), so I am going to move any further details of my oil leak--as well as other issues I am chasing--into more organized posts.

Two additional items of note for those who read this before doing similar work, especially if as inexperienced as I was:

-There are two types of PCV inlet elbows that could be on your intake manifold: one is removable and the other is NOT. I saw a post or two about this after-the-fact, but was initially under the impression that mine was removable because the Moroso instructions (with images) for my vehicle stated so. The instructions were lacking in the second possibility. Just putting that out there.

-While the driver side valve cover I removed is original for the manufacturing year (I believe), the teal gasket is not (most likely Fel-Pro)--replaced as part of the AFM delete.

Good work and good choices on your upgrades! It looks excellent under that valve cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas