2007 Tahoe reading 4-5volts. HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busterkayne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe / What happened???
Open door no lights and truck was dead.

Checked the voltage on the battery and it was 4-5v so I changed out the battery with another and the same thing.

Unhooked the main wire going to the fuse box and my voltage jumped right back up?? What is going on?

As long as I don't connect the main wire voltage is fine.

Connect it and nothing 4-5 volts. I had to connect a charger to it to get enough juice through the truck to unlock the doors.
Everything was buzzing and clicking like crazy.

Truck will not start or turn over

Alt check
Battery check
Starter check
Wires to battery check
Any ideas??
Thanks

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you checked the Alternator but mine checked out fine as well, but the voltage regulator was going bad in it. I had pulsating lights in the interior at idle. replaced the alternator and all is good now. Just wanted to throw it out there.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you said everything buzzes and clicks like crazy do the lights and guages on the dash go crazy to
usually when everything goes crazy like that means a bad PCM

OP
OP
B

Busterkayne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will check the alternator and PCM tonight when I get out of work.

Strangest thing is the truck is now reading 10 volts instead of the 4-6 volts at the battery.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
okay if yer dash is doing this you got a bad pcm

okay clarify some
when you hook up the positive battery cable the voltage drops to 4-5 now 10 volts is this with the key off?
now obviously it wont start on its own now have tried to jump it off a jump box or another vehicle ? if so what happens ? if its putting that much load on the battery just being connected its prolly going to put quite a load on the vehicle you jump it off of so rev the engine some