2007 Tahoe ignition/starting intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garrettpsu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did some searching and couldn't find anything specific to my issue.

My Tahoe will almost always start first try in the morning, but after that it will turn over, but won't start/run. It usually takes a few tries and it will start right away.

It's been doing this for several months and isn't getting worse, etc. Just usually takes two times to actually start.

Seems like an ignition issue and/or something with the anti-theft maybe? Again - it spins over with plenty of power, but it just doesn't start.

Thank you in advance

Garrett

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I did some searching and couldn't find anything specific to my issue.

My Tahoe will almost always start first try in the morning, but after that it will turn over, but won't start/run. It usually takes a few tries and it will start right away.

It's been doing this for several months and isn't getting worse, etc. Just usually takes two times to actually start.

Seems like an ignition issue and/or something with the anti-theft maybe? Again - it spins over with plenty of power, but it just doesn't start.

Thank you in advance

Garrett

Next time it does it, get down and smack the starter with a hammer while someone cranks it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
He says it spins over but won't start... gotta be fuel or spark or compression.

I would start with the simple things.

When was the last time it had a tune up... plugs, wires... etc.?

When it has trouble starting does it smell like fuel (flooded)?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading about this same issue before and some people have reported that after running a couple bottles of injector cleaner per fill up that the problem goes away after a few tanks, so my point is it could be the fuel system and a faster resolution would be to have a fuel injection service performed some places will offer this service and they have a machine that will connect to the fuel rail and run a cleaner thru the injectors. just my .02 cents on it.
and that service generally runs around $80-85
good luck and like mentioned in the above post previous maintenance should be taken into consideration as well it could be a combination of things and not just one thing going wrong.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What grade and brand of fuel have you been running in it and for how long? Do you have an advanced scan tool that can read your truck's various sensors and settings?

OP
OP
garrettpsu

garrettpsu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's definitely not a starter issue. It spins over freely/nicely.

It sounds more electrical, like an ignition issue - either in the ignition itself via a theft system or something else.

I've been using 87 octane and since I travel quite a bit it varies on the brand, but almost always with 10% ethanol. The truck hasn't had any recent tune up items done and it has 150K on it. It's likely time for plugs and wires at the least. I'll work on that here in the meantime.

I don't have an advanced scan tool, but I think a buddy of mine in town does. I'll see if it can pick up anything this weekend.

No smells of fuel at all. So this keeps me looking at something on the ignition side, since the pump and injectors aren't dumping fuel with the motor spinning over.

Thanks again -

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garrett, that crummy 87 could be the cause, either by itself or what it has done to your fuel system over the long haul. If your motor is a FlexFuel, it will run better on E85. But first I would stop in at walmart and pick up some of those little 6 ounce bottles of Super Tech fuel injector cleaner and toss them in your fuel tank (only on gas not E85).

I'm wondering if it could be your fuel pump. The scan tool will take a lot of the guess work out of this diagnosis. It costs more to run cheap gas than high octane top tier fuels. You get superior fuel economy and the detergents keep the fuel system in top form. E85 burns even cleaner and is literally like running cheap race gas; the motors love it, make more horsepower on it too.

OP
OP
garrettpsu

garrettpsu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Garrett, that crummy 87 could be the cause, either by itself or what it has done to your fuel system over the long haul. If your motor is a FlexFuel, it will run better on E85. But first I would stop in at walmart and pick up some of those little 6 ounce bottles of Super Tech fuel injector cleaner and toss them in your fuel tank (only on gas not E85).

I'm wondering if it could be your fuel pump. The scan tool will take a lot of the guess work out of this diagnosis. It costs more to run cheap gas than high octane top tier fuels. You get superior fuel economy and the detergents keep the fuel system in top form. E85 burns even cleaner and is literally like running cheap race gas; the motors love it, make more horsepower on it too.

I'll toss in a few of those next time I am at the parts store.

Maybe first thing I'll do is head to my buddies shop and see if anything comes up in terms of codes.

I'll post back what I find.

Thank you -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall