2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali 6.2 Overheating at a stand still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bocaguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Long time reader, first time poster!. Thanks in advance.

So I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2. I noticed my water pump was leaking a bit of water, not much so I decided to change it out. I also took the opportunity to change the t-stat. While I was changing these out, I noticed the radiator had rust and corrosion on it, so I changed it out as well. To complete the whole project, I changed the overflow expansion tank.

So I am in AZ and it is 50 to 80 degrees out, but it will start to get a lot warmer here shortly. The car will run at 217 and up to 228 at idle, and if I am not moving and rev it up, the temp will drop right away to 208. I am using my digital scan tool, to get these temps. I have also changed out the coolant temp sensor. I pulled the thermostat out, and it will run at a max temp of 190. I put a different, brand new thermostat in, and it is doing the exact same thing of running at 217 to 228. High speed fans kick on when the AC is turned on.

I am stumped as to why after changing all these components, it is running hot? Before changing everything, it always ran at 210 unless I was pulling my utility trailer up a hill or mountain road. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What make and model of radiator? Does it have the proper (small) restriction in the fitting for the hose that goes to the surge tank?

If you still have the old radiator you could compare the two.

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, your factory coolant fans don't kick on until about 220* or so..
They come on low speed first, then will kick up to High if the temp doesn't come
down and/or the AC head pressure requires it to...
You also may still have some trapped air in the system from the repairs

Its very very weird that your old radiator would have "rust" as it is plastic and aluminum....
Maybe just the color of dried up DexCool ??? possibly
Also, what brand etc details of NEW Radiator and New Water Pump & TStat did
you use ??????

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That "rust" is Dexcool (DEXPUKE) that has had either the green antifreeze(Ethylene Glycol) mixed with it (Which is a no no) or alot of air or it has just broken down. This is why I wont use it. I had a similar problem years ago on a Camaro with 2.8L V6 when I installed a reman longblock and all new stuff you typically would put on a longblock (Water Pump, Wires, Spark Plugs, etc.) It was the weirdest situation that really got me thinking and I found it. It turned out A1 Cardone which was one of the rebuilders that provided rebuilt water pumps for autozone (where I got all my parts for this motor install) had put the wrong impeller on the water pump. The impeller blades showed that the coolant did NOT get pumped the correct direction when you paid attention to the serpentine belt direction of rotation on the water pump pulley. All it did was cavitate the coolant. I got with the manager and alot of workers were very interested and we pulled out the manual for the Camaro and looked at crank rotation, serpentine belt direction and water pump impeller blade direction and after all that was discussed and proven it proved that the wrong impeller was on the water pump. All of their stock had the wrong impeller. I dont believe they had any new water pumps at the time so we couldnt use that to compare with. Manager called A1 Cardone and we threw our evidence on the table and sure enough they screwed up. A1 cardone sent me a replacement with the correct water pump impeller installed and no more overheating. I wonder to this day how many people got screwed, lost an engine due to overheating, blew a head gasket, etc during that period. This was more than likely a problem across the U.S. This happened in 1997/8 when I was stationed in Northern FLorida.
That car would just run the temp gauge to the red until you shut it down while idling. Driving it just made it peg faster. Ran fine after the proper water pump was installed.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, I am very interested in the solution to your issue, as we have the same truck.

Skibum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Long time reader, first time poster!. Thanks in advance.

So I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2. I noticed my water pump was leaking a bit of water, not much so I decided to change it out. I also took the opportunity to change the t-stat. While I was changing these out, I noticed the radiator had rust and corrosion on it, so I changed it out as well. To complete the whole project, I changed the overflow expansion tank.

So I am in AZ and it is 50 to 80 degrees out, but it will start to get a lot warmer here shortly. The car will run at 217 and up to 228 at idle, and if I am not moving and rev it up, the temp will drop right away to 208. I am using my digital scan tool, to get these temps. I have also changed out the coolant temp sensor. I pulled the thermostat out, and it will run at a max temp of 190. I put a different, brand new thermostat in, and it is doing the exact same thing of running at 217 to 228. High speed fans kick on when the AC is turned on.

I am stumped as to why after changing all these components, it is running hot? Before changing everything, it always ran at 210 unless I was pulling my utility trailer up a hill or mountain road. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same problem with my 2007 (240k) Denali. Replace everything, had to replace the thermostat again. Check for any small leaks with your head gaskets.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Sounds like air in the system or steam lines are plugged up with that crud. Take that small hose off that comes off the heads and run it to the overflow and cap the radiator fitting and see if you have coolant coming through that hose while it’s running. Might have to vacuum bleed it if that hose isn’t plugged. Might be a good idea to run some flush through it to make sure it’s all cleaned out.
If you’re not using premix coolant make sure you use the correct water and not tap water. Most people believe distilled water is what should be used but actually it’s not. The process in distilled water is to boil off the water which leaves behind the calcium and magnesium and then condense the vapors back to a liquid. The problem is the process leaves the water ionically unbalanced. That water will strip electrons from the internal parts of the engine and do damage over time. The only water you should use is softened water. That does not mean you’ll have salt in your engine. The process uses NaCl and as the calcium and magnesium is removed it is replaced with sodium ion making the water ionically stable.