2007 GMC Yukon keyfob working intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAsk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon keyfob works intermittently. The keyfob will work when the car is running and immediately after shutting off the car. A few minutes after walking away from car it no longer works. If I unlock the cat with the key it will not start, radio and all accessories will turn on and it displays antitheft on the radio, eventually after turning the key off and on several times the doors will unlock and it will then start. I replaced the RKE module and took it to the dealer and had it reprogrammed and it was fixed for 1 day, but now is having the same issue. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it, or know how to bypass the antitheft system so I could just lock and unlock it manually and start with the key?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon keyfob works intermittently. The keyfob will work when the car is running and immediately after shutting off the car. A few minutes after walking away from car it no longer works. If I unlock the cat with the key it will not start, radio and all accessories will turn on and it displays antitheft on the radio, eventually after turning the key off and on several times the doors will unlock and it will then start. I replaced the RKE module and took it to the dealer and had it reprogrammed and it was fixed for 1 day, but now is having the same issue. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it, or know how to bypass the antitheft system so I could just lock and unlock it manually and start with the key?
You replaced the module but did you replace the key fob or battery? My 2007 was doing the same thing a few months ago and replacing the key fob battery didn't help. So I bought a pair of new fobs from Amazon and went through the procedure to program them to the truck and since then, no more issues. You can program the fobs for a 2007 yourself without a scanner. Check YouTube for the procedure.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Have you seen any door ajar messages while driving/on startup?
I had the same problems and they quickly progressed into alarm going off quite often then started getting driver door ajar messages while driving. The wiring hot spots checked out and panel alignment was fine so next was the latch.

I don’t have a tech 2 and I couldn’t find much info for testing but I knew the latch and door “position” sensor are one unit. So I removed the latch sprayed some electrical parts cleaner in and lubed with silicon spray.

Surprisingly solved the problem and made the door close just a little easier. Unfortunately this happened about 3 weeks ago so i don’t know how long it’ll last but I don’t expect it to be long.

Please if you try this don’t fill your doors with flammable gasses. It’s a pita but take the latch out and do it.

OP
OP
C

ChrisAsk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried a new keyfob but this did not help the problem. The car does not seem to recognize the key or the keyfob. When I put the key in the ignition I have to hold the key in the on position and then turn to the off position several(6 -10) times before the doors will unlock and the car will start. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
C

ChrisAsk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you seen any door ajar messages while driving/on startup?
I had the same problems and they quickly progressed into alarm going off quite often then started getting driver door ajar messages while driving. The wiring hot spots checked out and panel alignment was fine so next was the latch.

I don’t have a tech 2 and I couldn’t find much info for testing but I knew the latch and door “position” sensor are one unit. So I removed the latch sprayed some electrical parts cleaner in and lubed with silicon spray.

Surprisingly solved the problem and made the door close just a little easier. Unfortunately this happened about 3 weeks ago so i don’t know how long it’ll last but I don’t expect it to be long.

Please if you try this don’t fill your doors with flammable gasses. It’s a pita but take the latch out and do it.
No problems with the door being ajar.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried a new keyfob but this did not help the problem. The car does not seem to recognize the key or the keyfob. When I put the key in the ignition I have to hold the key in the on position and then turn to the off position several(6 -10) times before the doors will unlock and the car will start. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Take the truck and the fob to a locksmith, and $15 and 15 minutes later, your fob will be programmed, and you'll be on your way.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealership. You paid them to fix it and it's not fixed.

I agree, you paid for a service, and they did not fix the problem.

Definitely google programming key fobs, it's pretty easy. And, there's tons of info/videos

Also, use a little alcohol on a q-tip to clean the inside of the module when it's opened. I was having issues with mine and it was surprisingly dirty inside and that did the trick. Another member gave me that tip a while back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons