2007 EXT Test Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time looking at the 6.2L L92 as a possible addition to my small collection. Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on things to look out for with this vehicle before I buy it. Block is aluminum as I understand it, so that's new to me and I've never owned the 4L80, so that's also new. I can deal with most other things, like body and suspension, but if there are any threads you guys/gals could link me to or just general issues you've seen with these in the past, I'd love the added advantage before I sign.
It's at 167k if that's helps.

Thanks in advance.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time looking at the 6.2L L92 as a possible addition to my small collection. Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on things to look out for with this vehicle before I buy it. Block is aluminum as I understand it, so that's new to me and I've never owned the 4L80, so that's also new. I can deal with most other things, like body and suspension, but if there are any threads you guys/gals could link me to or just general issues you've seen with these in the past, I'd love the added advantage before I sign.
It's at 167k if that's helps.

Thanks in advance.
You should have a 6L80 in an EXT. Look for oil leaks around the rear main seal. Transmission should shift smoothly. No AFM to worry about. Get on it during the test drive and listen for a clunk when it downshifts - that would be the motor mounts or the front differential mounts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have a 6L80 in an EXT. Look for oil leaks around the rear main seal. Transmission should shift smoothly. No AFM to worry about. Get on it during the test drive and listen for a clunk when it downshifts - that would be the motor mounts or the front differential mounts.
Awesome, thanks.
I can deal with motor motor or trans mounts, it's the internal stuff I'm looking for signals on. Leaks for sure, I plan to crawl up under it while it's running for a minute just go look around.
No AFM though? Was it not on these 07's or just not on the L92's

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks.
I can deal with motor motor or trans mounts, it's the internal stuff I'm looking for signals on. Leaks for sure, I plan to crawl up under it while it's running for a minute just go look around.
No AFM though? Was it not on these 07's or just not on the L92's
The ‘07s with the 5.3 had AFM. The L92 has the AFM towers cast into the block but they’re not used and the tops are sealed with o-rings on the backside of the flat valley pan.

Also forgot to mention - oil pressure. It should be running at least 25 on the gauge at warm idle and 35+ at higher rpms.

OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ‘07s with the 5.3 had AFM. The L92 has the AFM towers cast into the block but they’re not used and the tops are sealed with o-rings on the backside of the flat valley pan.

Also forgot to mention - oil pressure. It should be running at least 25 on the gauge at warm idle and 35+ at higher rpms.
Awesome, thank you!!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 20007 6.2 L92, and I can tell you that it is an awesome motor.

You are already receiving sage advice on what to look for in terms of potential issues, prior to purchase. If you decide to go with this purchase, a Black Bear Performance tune may be in your future, as it opens up the full capabilities of this awesome motor, as well as giving a much better performance tune to the 6L80 6 speed transmission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it. The 6.2 is nice and being an avalanche owner, that bed is nice with the ride of the suv. If for some strange reason you don't like the painted panels and chrome running boards, I'll happily trade! :anitoof:

Good luck with the future ride. Lots of very knowledgeable and friendly people on here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN