2005 Yukon/Front AC suddenly blows hot air?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_g1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I saw several other threads on this, but no one seems to come back and give the solution, so I don't know what to actually look for. I have a 2005 Yukon Xl that will be blasting cold air and then suddenly will instead start blowing hot air from the front vents (both sides). The rear AC is always ice cold. Only had the car a month so no idea on refrigerant levels or anything, but AC has been working great sans this happening twice. I've occasionally heard something "clicking" down near the passenger feet area, sometimes at random times. It hasn't seemed to affect the AC, but maybe that is still related? Just looking for tips and easy things to try first before I spend considerable time and/or money. Thanks.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably time to change out one or more of the actuators. If you have dual automatic climate control, there is an actuator for both the driver and passenger. There is also a fresh air actuator and one that controls the modes, where the air flows to. Out back there are two as well.

A bi-directional scan tool can you which one failed and why and also perform a proper calibration after replacement.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ninja @swathdiver is fast. Does sound like an actuator problem, especially since you mentioned a "clicking noise problem" at passenger side foot area. IMO, if can afford, replace all with Genuine GM parts. If you post the last 8 digits of VIN @915_Tahoe can likely supply part numbers. The rear has separate parts and part numbers. Please come back and tell us what was done to fix.

OP
OP
B

big_g1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's probably time to change out one or more of the actuators. If you have dual automatic climate control, there is an actuator for both the driver and passenger. There is also a fresh air actuator and one that controls the modes, where the air flows to. Out back there are two as well.

A bi-directional scan tool can you which one failed and why and also perform a proper calibration after replacement.

I have a bluetooth OBD2 scan tool with Torque Pro app, will that work?
I don't have the automatic climate controls, I have the manual one, does that change what actuator is the suspect? Seems like the actuator wouldn't just randomly stop working...hmm, actually, my wife said it went hot when she tried to change the AC temperature. Maybe that means something?

OP
OP
B

big_g1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have "good" news. I was able to get the problem to occur, and it is only the driver's side front that is hot, not the passenger side front. From what I've read, the actuator for the driver's side is on the passenger side (near their feet), correct? Which would make sense since that is where I thought I heard the actuator making noise initially. I assume this all means I just need to replace the driver's actuator?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have "good" news. I was able to get the problem to occur, and it is only the driver's side front that is hot, not the passenger side front. From what I've read, the actuator for the driver's side is on the passenger side (near their feet), correct? Which would make sense since that is where I thought I heard the actuator making noise initially. I assume this all means I just need to replace the driver's actuator?
Yes, it'll be the one under that black cover near the transmission hump. Aftermarket replacements either don't work at all or for very long.

The part number is likely: 15-72971 or 89018365, both printed on the same box, ACDelco and GM Original Equipment.

As to your previous question, no, the ODBII adapter and the apps cannot read BCM codes.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 2005. Changing the actuator on the passenger side fixed the problem. Watch a YouTube on changing it as there is one bolt that is a royal pain To remove and replace. I had to modify a tool to reach it.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 2005. Changing the actuator on the passenger side fixed the problem. Watch a YouTube on changing it as there is one bolt that is a royal pain To remove and replace. I had to modify a tool to reach it.
Was yours the upper or lower actuator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900