2005 tahoe.. won't accelerate??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I think you're saying is to have th pcm read and see if it stored any codes and hopefully that will help lead to some resolution?

It sounded like chinese but, Yup have it scanned at AutoZone or something.

B

OP
OP
stormin

stormin

Reaction score
Hey guys.. this problem still persists.. and is doing it more often.. did it twice today and once while i was in the middle of an intersection making a left turn and there was oncoming traffic that wasn't too pleased with me!
I took the truck in to be scanned.. and it didn't show any codes.. I've checked connections and all seems fine. Seems to only do it when I'm going very slowly. There is an intermitent flat spot at low rpm and not sure if that is part of this problem.
So... anybody have an idea of what to try next?? I really need this sorted out as now I see it can become quite dangerous if it happens at the wrong time.

Thanks guys
take care
NB

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll take a stab at it, I had something like this one of my cars do this but the difference was it would only let the engine get up to 3K Rpm's and then stall out! What I found it to be was the Fuel filter had something in it and I took it off and blew it out and put it back on and bam no more problem. So there might be something floating around in there that gets caught once while,so when you step on it,it gets sucked into the way causing it not to accelerate. Anyways just a thought,and fuel filters are cheap. Well good luck!

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the list could go on but make sure to keep posting on here to get a better response and prolly save you lots of money by not spending money on the wrong problem.

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you changed the air filter lately? you might have got something stuck in there or loosened something up. check the tb front to make sure nothing is blocking the air flow. I had the gasket on my k&n get sucked into the tb and caused a similar problem. I would also see if you can borrow someone else's mass air flow sensor or try some cleaning spray on it. a faulty maf could also be causing your surging/accel issues. ANY mods done to it whatsoever? if so how long ago? a recent mod could have caused it too.

OP
OP
stormin

stormin

Reaction score
thanks guys but...

Hey guys.. all great advice.. and yep.. checked all those.. fairly new K&N air filter.. everything in place.. cleaned throttle body.. gas is fresh.. i go through a tank or two a week...I had it scanned...and didn't show any codes..but does seem something electrical or computer related by the way it reacts.. or should I say.. doesn't react.
I talked to a friend of mine yesterday... long time gm mechanic...until about 3 yrs ago...even he didn't have an answer.. just possibilities...he tends to think it might be the throttle actuator thing... I called the dealer as apparently that is the only place to get them.... and it's 471.00.. and of course.. there's still no guarantee that's the fix for it.
The guy at the dealer.. said.. sometimes.. the ecm just needs to be re-programmed? Does that make sense to anybody??

Friday morning.. I'm taking my gm mechanic friend out for breakfast (as we haven't seen each other in a while.. it'll be good to catch up), but.. he's also offered to go with me to the dealer.. talk to the service dept.. and see if we can't get closer to fixing this.
I appreciate everybody's input!!! Thank you all.. and also.. in turn.. I will keep updating you all here with what happens.. one way .. it will get fixed and I'm sure others who might run into this problem.. will want to know what the problem was.
So.. thanks again.. and still if anybody has any other ideas.. I'd love to hear them.

take care
Norm

OP
OP
stormin

stormin

Reaction score
still a problem but...???

Hey everybody.
Well.. I spoke to the dealer.. who had me bring it in to take a stab at repairing it..on their dime so far...they asked if I had done anything to it.. which I hadn't..but. they found it had a k and n air filter in it.. that I guess whoever installed it previously... SOAKED it oil.. and apparently that oil was being sucked into the throttle body and intake system possibly causing some of this problem. So.. they took the intake system apart.. cleaned everything..including the throttle body and said that should help.
They also weren't getting communication from the computer.. they also found someone had wired in a remote starter system and possibly some other type of aftermarket.. uh.. well.. i dunno.. something to help performance or something.. anyways.. they took that junk out.. wired it back like it was originally.. got communication from the computer.. cleared a bunch of codes.. or so I'm told..
so.. now.. I've had it two days.. it still has a bit of a flat spot.. at low rpm.. let's say.. leaving from a dead stop at a traffic light...but it has not gotten to the point of where it did before.. where you depress the accelerator pedal and the motor doesn't respond. Then again.. I've only had it back two days.

Now.. one thing I did notice today.... several times throughout the day.. on the DIC... pops up.. TRACTION CONTROL ACTIVE.. or something like that. I was in traffic and couldn't read it entirely..but.. that's pretty much it.
Is that the computer throwing a code or telling me something is up.. because I think.. when that popped up.. the truck stumbled a bit.

Can anybody comment on that?
As always.. I appreciate anybody's help.

Thanks
NB

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, not exactly sure of what all the dealer did to clean out the truck from the K&N but if that is indeed the case, the Mass Air Flow sensor should be cleaned out with special MAF spray, throttle body cleaned out with TB spray, and K&N be cleaned up and resprayed lightly with oil, if one or more of these haven't been done yet you should do it yourself for sure!! Also, you should seafoam your truck (check out youtube and search for Seafoam and watch the videos!), my truck kinda had the problems that yours was having and when I did all that stuff the problem went away (mine was bogging and dying on me when I stepped on the gas every once in a while with occasional rough idles).

-Clean K&N and reoil lightly
-Spray out MAF with special MAF cleaner spray, no compressed air at all on the MAF!!
-Clean out Throttle Body, Seafoam "Deep Creep" spray works great
-Seafoam your intake, check out You Tube!
-Change out Fuel Filter

OP
OP
stormin

stormin

Reaction score
re: your advice

Hi Rivieraracing.
Thanks for your advice...
The dealer removed the k and n air filter.. tha'ts fine with me if that's what they want to do to try to solve this problem.. and did the clean up on everything else as you said.. the flat spot..is still there.. although.. it's not incredibly bad.
I will definitely do the seafoam thing to the motor sometime this week.. hope that helps a bit too...
but...
the main problem.. was ....stepping on the accelerator...and the motor not responding. what I mean by not responding.. is.. it just idles.. it doesn't do anything else.. as if.. you didn't touch the accelerator at all.. not rough running.. not stumbling.. just.....idling.. as if there was no communication between the pedal and the throttle body. It has one of those drive by wire accelerator deals.
Any idea if the computer is trying to throw a code when it came up yesterday so many times saying something about the "traction control active" saying coming up???

The big reason I'm trying to figure this out is... it is now a safety issue.. as I question myself now everytime I turn left off any type of busy intersection as one time.. I rolled into the turn.. stepped on the accelerator.. and the truck was just idling through the turn... .as oncoming traffic was approaching at speed! Quite dangerous!

Thanks
NB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodinchris