2005 tahoe Oil Pressure Warning Keeps Coming On When Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jace Dellenbach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

i just bought a 2005 chevy tahoe with 185000 miles on it last week, it runs and drives great but it has its issues, the most concerning is that when driving the oil pressure low warning keeps popping up and beeping every few minutes. it doesnt help that that only 3 of my gauges work (speedo, fuel, and temp) I have checked the oil levels and they are good. I've taken it to two mechanics and they don't know what to do about it.

has anyone had a similar problem or might have an idea of what the problem could be? thanks in advance.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

When you took it to the two mechanics, did any of them put an analog gauge on your system to read what the oil pressure actually is? That would tell you if you have an actual drop in oil pressure or your pressure sensor is on the fritz.

When was the last oil change? What are you running for an oil filter?

Could very well be something like a cracked o-ring on your oil pick up tube where it goes into your oil pump.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,
You need to fix the gauges to make sure the oil pressure sending sensor is reading the correct oil pressure. You can also find a mechanic that has a GM Tech 2 that can read live data, they can also tell you if the sensor is working correctly.

If the sensor is working correctly you have either a bad oil pump or the oil pick up tube seal might me bad.

If those two items are fine you have sludge plugage in the block. To rule this out you can remove one of the valve cover and inspect it for sludge build up.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
My first steps:

If you think you truly aren't getting oil pressure, stop driving it immediately. Your next step should be to put a mechanical gauge on it and determine if there is an oil pressure problem.

If you believe it to be a sensor / cluster issue, you can check it with a scan tool. Might need a local shop for that one though, cheapies at the store don't like to read the oil pressure PID on our rigs.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have clattering lifters when at idle with no pressure? If so, do not drive it anymore until fixed.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Yea, get a mechanical gauge on it and get a readout. Those 2 techs should have suggested that, did they? May be a bad sender. Plus, what the hell did your gauge say the pressure was when the warnings started? You did not say.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Yea, get a mechanical gauge on it and get a readout. Those 2 techs should have suggested that, did they? May be a bad sender. Plus, what the hell did your gauge say the pressure was when the warnings started? You did not say.
Unfortunately, the oil pressure gauge on his dash isn't working either.

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its low pressure I would put a mechanical gauge on it asap.

If its the low oil level sensor its on the passenger side of the oil pan. If someone was rough installing a starter the wires may be damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos