2005 Tahoe coolant flush impossible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a 2003, have the petcock but no hose near it. Planned on changing out my water pump this morning but now I'm stuck.
View attachment 259261

You pic didn't load. If you have the openable petcock then you are good to go. Get a 2ft piece of clear tubing from hardware store and you are on easy street.

datbluegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You pic didn't load. If you have the openable petcock then you are good to go. Get a 2ft piece of clear tubing from hardware store and you are on easy street.
Thanks for the support, I've watched so many videos etc wanting to learn how to wrench my own vehicles. This is by far the "scariest" project for me so far.

I uploaded the photo again, not sure why it didn't work before.

Is there another thread/pics of someone who has used the clear tubing method? Just want to make sure I buy and use the same process.

Thanks again
Marissa

DA5A5182-D72C-45C6-BACD-50EF2A9812F9.jpeg

datbluegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nevermind I figured it out lol gotta hit the hardware store. My arms are beat trying to figure this out. I can see why there are very few female mechanics.. extra body parts don't help in small awkward positions

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Even if you have a functioning petcock of the radiator, I don’t think it’s worth touching when you’re doing a water pump. If you were to try to use it, the thermostat virtually stops coolant from draining from the engine to the radiator and you would find plenty more coolant after the radiator drain stoped running.
My method for dumping coolant / minimizing the mess when doing a water pump was putting the catch pan under the heater hose end of the pump. removing surge tank cap to release any pressure, reinstall cap - creates vacuum as coolant dumps and slows flow. Remove one of the heater hoses from the water pump, seems like the one to the back is easier to take off first, at least with factory clamps. Once that seems to slow down, pull the cap again, and upper rad hose. Then pull the remaining heater hose. Once that stops pull the catch pan out a bit infront of the pump, pull the lower hose, and then take the lower hose and bend it down to empty the radiator. Move the catch pan under the pump to catch the remaining coolant that will come out between the block and the pump.
Draining the radiator first will reduce how much coolant you could potentially make a mess with, but you’ll still be trying to catch it from all of these places

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind I figured it out lol gotta hit the hardware store. My arms are beat trying to figure this out. I can see why there are very few female mechanics.. extra body parts don't help in small awkward positions

If you are wanting to flush your radiator fluid while changing your water pump, you could always get a siphon pump to make it infinitely easier that messing with that petcock.

These Tahoe bays are very tight and difficult to maneuver for anyone. A million ways to slice yourself also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts