2004 Yukon XL fuel tank vent issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessalynn87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had my '04 for about 2 1/2 years now, and after replacing my fuel pump, the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message would flash across my DIC on occasion. I didn't really give it much thought because it would only happen every now and then, and figured it was triggered by something when the tank was dropped to replace the pump.

About two weeks ago, the fuel gage started acting wonky. dropping radically and then resetting when i would restart the vehicle. i stopped to fuel, and when i loosened the fuel cap, a huge amount of pressure released, along with strong gas fumes. i filled my tank, and all was wel until i got to about a quarter tank of fuel and the gage started up again.

i replaced the gas cap, thought that might fix the venting issue, and it has not, if anything it made it WORSE! i am getting the CEL codes read this afternoon, but was looking for some suggestions on possible parts that might need to be replaced so i can get them priced.

anyone been through this before or know what it might be?

OP
OP
jessalynn87

jessalynn87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, My CEL code was EVAP related, so i will be replacing that this weekend, hopefully it solves the issue!

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed mine, fixed it for a week or two and it started coming back....rats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bevy