2004 Yukon Denali is rebuilding front differential that much harder than the rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 04 Denali Awd and its time to replace or rebuild the front dif. Remans cost as much as a trans here in IL ($1300 on the low side) and I can get a used one for about $400 and put it in myself but from the reading I've done rebuilding has been made to seem like a complicated task that not many can do. I drained and filled the dif today and there was a lot of metal shavings that came on the drain plug when I wiped it off. The dif was low and obviously leaking while the vehicle was parked. I drove it for 11 days before it started making noise and I parked it and after filling it up today and test driving it I have a very loud metal to metal noise only when coasting at low speeds and not under load (on throttle). I'm thinking the ring and pinion gears got messed up pretty bad on that short drive.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely bad bearing(s). Ring and Pinion destruction is a constant sound under load or not. The rebuild is not very much different from the rear. The front obviously has the actuator and the rear doesnt. Its not a impossible job but it is not a job to learn on. The pinion to ring gear lash is critical. Get it too loose or tight and you will be doing another rebuild very soon. There is an art to it. Dye Chem Blue shows the gear teeth engagement and is the most common way to check gear lash. A used unit will likely give you the problem you already have soon enough. 04 era frontends are well worn and you are not likely to find one with low miles on it. Reman or see if you can find someone that knows what they are doing willing to teach you or do it for you. Know anyone that works at a tranny shop? See if you cant work out a deal with their rearend guy off the clock.
There are youtube vids to watch so you can see what you are getting yourself into before you do it and what tools you will need.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The process of a diff rebuild is not really complicated. However, successful installations totally rely on proper technique. A mechanic, who does gearing/diff rebuilds for a living, knows but look and feel when things are set up just right. That is something that can only come from good instruction and experience. The tolerance between a proper set-up and a grenading unit can be measured in thousandths of an inch.

I do a lot of my own work, but re-gearing or rebuilding differentials is one of the things on my list, that I will not tackle on my own. I would not think twice about installing a rear diff., but rebuilding or re-gearing... Not a chance!

OP
OP
qthor

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this post. As of today (3/14) I picked the Denali up this morning from the shop. Turned out to be the bearings in the front diff. Dropped it off a week ago the shop called a couple of days later and informed me that it was the bearings after teardown that were done for. Picked it up this morning and the sound is totally gone. Now on to other things. Still have bearing noise up front but its the wheel bearings which I knew needed to be replaced before this job. If anybody is wondering it costed me $920 for the front dif but I'm just glad its done. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder what metal shavings where that came out at lube change in front diff?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this post. As of today (3/14) I picked the Denali up this morning from the shop. Turned out to be the bearings in the front diff. Dropped it off a week ago the shop called a couple of days later and informed me that it was the bearings after teardown that were done for. Picked it up this morning and the sound is totally gone. Now on to other things. Still have bearing noise up front but its the wheel bearings which I knew needed to be replaced before this job. If anybody is wondering it costed me $920 for the front dif but I'm just glad its done. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
Thats great you got it all worked out and that is not a bad price for a front rebuild at all.

OP
OP
qthor

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats great you got it all worked out and that is not a bad price for a front rebuild at all.
Well it wasn't a full rebuild it was just the bearings but the shop said the gears didn't have much wear on em so they reused those.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it wasn't a full rebuild it was just the bearings but the shop said the gears didn't have much wear on em so they reused those.
Thats a full rebuild. Replace what parts are worn or damaged and its always logical that if a differential is broken down to replace bearings and seals if it hasnt been done.

OP
OP
qthor

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats a full rebuild. Replace what parts are worn or damaged and its always logical that if a differential is broken down to replace bearings and seals if it hasnt been done.
I thought if the gears were reused that wouldn't make it a full rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons