2004 Tahoe Lt autoride, with stabilitrack ,AWD with 4lo button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holorinhal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 2004 Tahoe LT autoride with stabilitrack and AWD with a 4wheel low button. I asume that the 4button is a 4lo diferential locker?
Can some one explain to me the difference between this 4x4 system and the regular 4x4 system common on the tahoes?

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
That system is an all wheel drive system, and the 4LO is just that, the low range of the t-case.. There is no way to make this unit a part time 4x4, so if the all wheel drive is an issue, don't buy it.. I have one, and driving it like I have sense, I get 17 MPG outta mine..

When in 4LO stabilitrak and traction control turn off..

The AWD system have a t-case with a differental built into it, as there is a 40 F 60 R power split..

Your part time 4WD system are a 50% split, and should not be used on dry pavement..

Also the awd tahoe's don't have any locker in the rear end..

OP
OP
H

holorinhal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so does it perform well? I do not go mud 4x4ing, or rock climbing. I use it for pulling My boat out of the water somtimes on a sandy beach, lots of driving in the snow, and light offroad trips. Will the truck perform well for this?
allso will this system with the auto ride accept a small amount of lift and up to 33" allterain tires? Thanks for the reply.

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
so does it perform well? I do not go mud 4x4ing, or rock climbing. I use it for pulling My boat out of the water somtimes on a sandy beach, lots of driving in the snow, and light offroad trips. Will the truck perform well for this?
allso will this system with the auto ride accept a small amount of lift and up to 33" allterain tires? Thanks for the reply.

I did not see the part about autoride in the OP..

My hoe does not have autoride, so someone with more knowledge will have to chime in,,, but I think autoride is just some kind of air adjustable ride system,, and they can be changed to a regular type system.. Might wanna search the forum for "autoride".

My tahoe is ok.. It's not a sports car, but it moves well.. Good for towing if you have the towing package(which I am sure you do),, mine has larger brakes than my silverado.. In the snow they are good, that is where awd and stabilitrak do their thing.

If you do go off road,, in sand or mud, turn off the stabilitrak.. it limits your throttle when the vehicle senses wheel spin(the traction control part),, and in sand and mud, you might need some wheel spin.

My tahoe is stock,, but my 2001 silverado, I turned the torsion bar's up, and installed 285 tires(which are 33"),, and while the ride stiffened up,, but that'd be an option insted of a lift..

jhellwig

Reaction score
You don't want to spin in sand unless you are moving very fast. I would think that the awd would do well from a stop in sand. It does good in snow unless you need to get momentum. You relay have to be moving and hammering on it to get the stability system to kick in on gravel.

kses123

kses123
Reaction score

Yes, the truck will pull the boat out of the water with no problem at all. It is a good system and works well. Yes, Autoride will accept a small amount of lift. The tire size has nothing to do with Autoride. I am not sure how large of tires you can fit though. Autoride is great for pulling the boat too.

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
You don't want to spin in sand unless you are moving very fast. I would think that the awd would do well from a stop in sand. It does good in snow unless you need to get momentum. You relay have to be moving and hammering on it to get the stability system to kick in on gravel.

That stupid traction control will cut your throttle if it senses any wheel spin.. Not saying to go blasting into sand with all 4 spinning,, but it's best to turn off the stabilitrak/traction control if you know you will be in sand or mud.. If not, you are gonna get stuck..

That's why it turns off automaticly in 4LO

OP
OP
H

holorinhal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well tell me about the 4wheel lo buton . When I was test driving the truck I stoped shifted to neutral and pushed the 4lo button and I could clearly hear and feel the 4wheel engage. So the 4lo works basicly the same as 4lo on a normal 4x4?
My expedition had the 4awd that it runs in all the time and the awd only kicks in when it senses a tire slip, then I had normal 4x4 on the fly for 4H up to 55mph and for 4lo You had to stop and engage. this is what I asume the regular 4x4 system is on all other Tahoe sytems?
So the awd here is full time with a 60r/ 40f split all the time, and not just when tire slip is sensed? Is awd full time even with the stabilitrack switched off?

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
Well tell me about the 4wheel lo buton . When I was test driving the truck I stoped shifted to neutral and pushed the 4lo button and I could clearly hear and feel the 4wheel engage. So the 4lo works basicly the same as 4lo on a normal 4x4?
My expedition had the 4awd that it runs in all the time and the awd only kicks in when it senses a tire slip, then I had normal 4x4 on the fly for 4H up to 55mph and for 4lo You had to stop and engage. this is what I asume the regular 4x4 system is on all other Tahoe sytems?
So the awd here is full time with a 60r/ 40f split all the time, and not just when tire slip is sensed? Is awd full time even with the stabilitrack switched off?

Yup, always 4 wheel drive.. 4 LO is just a gear reduced speed with stabilitrak disengaged.. There is still a power split, as there is a viscus differental inside the borg warner transfer case.

Some GM products have auto 4wd, which is in 2wd until there is a wheel slip, and in a fairly violent manner, the transfer case engages the front axle..

It is full time forever.. If you removed the front drive shaft, the diff in the transfer case would die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10