2004 Tahoe/Epic failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freeman987

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive been tasked with a 2004 tahoe z71. Now a couple of hands have already tried fixing this issue and from what i have gathered have made it worse. 1st there was a blown fuse to the fuel pump. That was replaced and then 2nd the starter started "dragging" so the starter was removed and reinstalled and then 3rd. When went to start the vehicle the cigarette lighter started smoking and smoke came from under the dash. So the center console and center storage area of the dash was removed and the wires that could be found melted were replaced. When went to be started all the bells and whistles came on but no crank...this is were I'm brought in. I checked the wiring on the cig port. Found a spot or 2 slightly melted that was missed so I replaced the whole runs up to the first Delphi plug that sits under the center console. Now this was supposed to be all I was needed for so I didn't get crazy with it. Went to start the vehicle and all the bells and whistles came on but still no start. Checked the 15a fuse under hood and it's blown. Replaced it and popped again. Obd2 isn't working either. Spent a day diving into it and haven't found any melted wires. At this point I said sorry I couldn't help I got other priorities. Few weeks went by and I've been called back up. I have a few days to spare. We'll another guy came in and the entire dash is out and everything that has a connecter is unplugged. I'm plugging everything back in and gonna start from the beginning. I'm. Not big on electrical in vehicles and want to help get this tahoe back on the road. What are my order of operations and what can I do to troubleshoot and diag this issue. Sorry for the backstory but figured it might help. 2004 chevy tahoe z71 4x4 I believe it's a Ltz. Has heated Seats etc. Thank you in advance

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug that center console harness, and replace the fuse. If it doesnt pop, you know you have it narrowed down. Its all about narrowing the focus of a short, which is done by unplugging a suspected harness, and plugging it in piece by piece until you can narrow it down further.

Its likely a harness end weather pack, or whatever they are called, and it being melted internally

The things I have learned watching SMA

OP
OP
F

freeman987

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unplug that center console harness, and replace the fuse. If it doesnt pop, you know you have it narrowed down. Its all about narrowing the focus of a short, which is done by unplugging a suspected harness, and plugging it in piece by piece until you can narrow it down further.

Its likely a harness end weather pack, or whatever they are called, and it being melted internally
I was going to do that with everything unplugged. But worried that could mess up other systems if there is something melted together further down the line. I'm still plugging stuff back in.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick clamp on DC ammeter on Negative wire. Have someone watch it. Plug one thing in at a time and tell the watcher to let you know when the amps all of a sudden jump up on the ammeter. When problem harness is found stick a ohmeter on with battery disconnected and ohm to ground to find which wire is shorted to ground. Find schematic and see what circuit that wire belongs to and inspect every inch of it. Dont be surprised if you are pulling up carpet or seats.

Does it have the Bosch stereo? Hint. :p

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
F

freeman987

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
Thank you all very much I'll be at the vehicle here shortly and will get pics of the nightmare I'm progress. I believe I've got about all the plugs back together. Besides a few that were connected to the seats which has been removed. I let the battery charge over night so we shall see. I'm gonna go by what you fellas suggest so wish me luck and thank you

OP
OP
F

freeman987

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck

Basic 2004 z71. 4x4 ltz i believe. So far center console connection unplugged the climate controls in center dash the GM interface (little black box by comfort controls) 2 of the 5 plugs that have the relays up against the firewall unplugged. Still popping the 15 amp cig fuse
20230427_151327.jpg

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the amp there in the center console. Likely not the issue, but its in the area of burnt wires that you described earlier

It being a 2004, it might have Sirius XM. On my Esky, that was shorted out from a bad factory install. That stopped it from popping the 15a fuse for me.

Also, save a but of money, go to the AutoParts Store, and get a 10a circuit breaker, at least thats what I recommend. Circuit breakers always seem to take a bit more current to pop, so I always go one step below for wiring diags. This way when it pops, you just reset it for the next test.

Also, unplug all the wires under your passenger seat. A PDM, or power seat controller, could be an issue.

EDIT: Check all the wiring going to and from the cigarette lighter, and the OBD port hot wire. They are connected.

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being it was cranked and lighter area started smoking. Need to check grounds cause starter pulls alot of ampage and with a poor ground it will find whatever path it can and will smoke/ burn wires along the way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011