2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m fine, whole neighborhood has power and wifi. Tahoe fuel pump still not working tho.

I did another test and believe it’s the ground that’s having issues. I ran the factory wires directly to the pump which does not activate it. However, if I add a ground to the ground wire directly from the battery the pump kicks on and stays on. That tells me the grounds not good enough for the initial turning on of the pump.

Anyone know where the ground location is? I’ve check the ones I know and see nothing wrong.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've done a load test like this no-BS guy does? That would verify the load capacity of each power wire.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if this is correct, but what I see on diagrams is Ground Zone 21. That's one of the two grounds on/by the body mount, right behind the left front tire. Essentially under where the door hinges would be.

4x4 Left_Side_Frame_Rail_Grounds.jpg

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've done a load test like this no-BS guy does? That would verify the load capacity of each power wire.

That’s how I determined the ground was no good. He’s pretty funny and I feel his disdain for crappy shops that shotgun parts like I do, I just don’t have to pay myself the labor.

Not sure if this is correct, but what I see on diagrams is Ground Zone 21. That's one of the two grounds on/by the body mount, right behind the left front tire. Essentially under where the door hinges would be.

View attachment 381657

I actually think it goes to the ECU but I didn’t get that far.

I found a crunched part of the wiring harness the runs along the outside of the frame rail under the driver door. Pretty sure at some point someone had it jacked there and it slipped off scraping the harness. One wire had minor chaffing and when Wiggled the pump kicked on. I cut out and replaced a section of that wire and it’s running good!

If anyone knows as priest that preforms Exorcists on GM electrical systems PM me his #.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt that either the ground or the power goes through the ECU. The fuel gauge does, but the pump takes too much current for the ECU to handle. Hence the power relay.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s how I determined the ground was no good. He’s pretty funny and I feel his disdain for crappy shops that shotgun parts like I do, I just don’t have to pay myself the labor.

I actually think it goes to the ECU but I didn’t get that far.

I found a crunched part of the wiring harness the runs along the outside of the frame rail under the driver door. Pretty sure at some point someone had it jacked there and it slipped off scraping the harness. One wire had minor chaffing and when Wiggled the pump kicked on. I cut out and replaced a section of that wire and it’s running good!

If anyone knows as priest that preforms Exorcists on GM electrical systems PM me his #.
mine was just a cheap relay some idiot installed :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157