2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't more contact area on a prepped surface help?

I typically roll into it from a light on the street, basically, let the slack out on the clutch and let the drivetrain get some load on it sometimes from a 1 or 2 mph roll then nail the throttle. Just didn't want to roll and trip the beams early, I figured if I set the shocks upright it would take a decent hit. I think leaving in second with enough rpm to not bog is going to be key but I could be wrong.

I sorta no lift shift on the 1-2 but third likes to grind so I fully lift on the 2-3. I think my buddy no lift shifted on one of his run and when he banged third it let out a nice puff of clutch smoke. let me upload that vid
If you can get the launch down on the street pretty good and have a solid launch on the track, everything out from 20' is sticking to the track more than needed, thus slowing you down. The smallest possible tire to hook the best is ideal, hence the skinny front combo.

If you were running a sticky tire, could could dump it from 5K let it rip. The benefit to the sticky wide tire outweighs the negligible effects.

Also, it doesn't matter when you cross the beam, once the light turns green, you can sit there for 15 seconds and it will still record your ET. Another trick I learned, barely trip that second staging light. You will have a slightly faster ET vs rolling as deep it as it will let you.

If its got enough ass to leave in second, give it a shot. You'll be saving a shift but if it bogs any, it might hurt it.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get the launch down on the street pretty good and have a solid launch on the track, everything out from 20' is sticking to the track more than needed, thus slowing you down. The smallest possible tire to hook the best is ideal, hence the skinny front combo.

If you were running a sticky tire, could could dump it from 5K let it rip. The benefit to the sticky wide tire outweighs the negligible effects.

Also, it doesn't matter when you cross the beam, once the light turns green, you can sit there for 15 seconds and it will still record your ET. Another trick I learned, barely trip that second staging light. You will have a slightly faster ET vs rolling as deep it as it will let you.

If its got enough ass to leave in second, give it a shot. You'll be saving a shift but if it bogs any, it might hurt it.
It's funny I feel like it actually hooks a bit better on the street maybe I didn't burn out enough to get all the water off.

I'm gonna slowly look around for a drag pack, might be able to talk Denali buddy into buying something he's loaded.
Yea, that dude was showing no mercy to the tires:Big Laugh:
He was told if he does that again he has to leave lol.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny I feel like it actually hooks a bit better on the street maybe I didn't burn out enough to get all the water off.

I'm gonna slowly look around for a drag pack, might be able to talk Denali buddy into buying something he's loaded.

He was told if he does that again he has to leave lol.
Street tires are really ******* the surface prep lol.

Even on a non-prepped surface, a track should work better than a street but sometimes that ass dyno doesn't lie. Its def got more in it than that. Keep practicing and take it back out before it gets to hot and humid.

Also, take anything extra out. No sense in blasting off with 100 extra pounds. I was only have joking about the floor mats and all that....

HARD ON is censored....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Street tires are really ******* the surface prep lol.

Even on a non-prepped surface, a track should work better than a street but sometimes that ass dyno doesn't lie. Its def got more in it than that. Keep practicing and take it back out before it gets to hot and humid.

Also, take anything extra out. No sense in blasting off with 100 extra pounds. I was only have joking about the floor mats and all that....

HARD ON is censored....

Yeah I did have my winch, straps, and tools in the back because I didn’t want to leave them on my trailer unattended.

I think practice would help a ton, I still had a bunch of stuff I want to try but ran out of time. Can’t wait to go back now why did I wait 8 years since I went last.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did have my winch, straps, and tools in the back because I didn’t want to leave them on my trailer unattended.

I think practice would help a ton, I still had a bunch of stuff I want to try but ran out of time. Can’t wait to go back now why did I wait 8 years since I went last.
Just practice a lot on the street before you go back. Its got a lot more in it so my number still stands

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just practice a lot on the street before you go back. Its got a lot more in it so my number still stands
I shall do that! Just gonna give it a good look over this weekend before I put it back to DD status. Coming from aircraft I’m very inspection heavy especially after a night of abuse. I don’t suspect anything is wrong but stuff has a way of getting looser than it should sometimes.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@pwtr02ss did you notice the bit of axle movement on the video where it spun really bad in 1st?

Any idea what my weak point in rear axle stability would be? Or maybe it was just good ole G80 funky monkey stuff?

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@pwtr02ss did you notice the bit of axle movement on the video where it spun really bad in 1st?

Any idea what my weak point in rear axle stability would be? Or maybe it was just good ole G80 funky monkey stuff?
Looked to me like a little wheel hop. You may have bounced off the bump stop and unloaded the rear suspension a little. Are your rear shocks adjustable? Are they set to soft, medium, or firm? If they are easy to adjust, I think you typically adjust the rear to as firm as possible so it "shocks" the tire and works better. Front, depends on your goal. If you need a little weight transfer to assist in traction, soften them up a bit. Don't soften enough that when you launch, the rear is slamming into the bump stop though. That can unsettle everything and then you get wheel spin or wheel hop.

@randeez or @iamdub may be more inclined to help resolve that than I am. I've never messed with the suspension on these trucks, other than basic replacements.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401