2003 Yukon..Weird Grinding sound when I turn AC on for the first after a cold start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It reminds of me of cold start starter grind that these trucks do when temps are below 30 degrees.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What it means is that there is a pattern here that started with defrost and is now with a/c and the common denominator is the a/c compressor and clutch. Take the belt off, like has been said already, and if noise is gone, then guess what, you get to spend money or disconnect low pressure switch at the accumulator to shut down the compressor and clutch.

For me to be 100% certain, I would need to be there, but everything is pointing at the a/c compressor and clutch.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What it means is that there is a pattern here that started with defrost and is now with a/c and the common denominator is the a/c compressor and clutch. Take the belt off, like has been said already, and if noise is gone, then guess what, you get to spend money or disconnect low pressure switch at the accumulator to shut down the compressor and clutch.

For me to be 100% certain, I would need to be there, but everything is pointing at the a/c compressor and clutch.

sounds like fun. Now I just have to show my wife the noise and tell her the compressor is going so she will buy into it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
She will buy in to it if she wants cold air and to keep away from what will happen if the clutch and compressor seize up and throw the belt and that belt could get tangled in the other belt and then guess what, you are broke down. Not gonna happen in your driveway I can tell you that. If you only hear the noise when a/c is on, then you are there. Show her with the belt on and then take the belt off and show her.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
once you have verified the cause of the noise, explain to her that we can be pre-emptive and replace it now for $*** or wait till it blows out completely and repair it at $xxxx instead :deal:
or toss the coin and maybe it will just keep going with a little noise......who knows

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She will buy in to it if she wants cold air and to keep away from what will happen if the clutch and compressor seize up and throw the belt and that belt could get tangled in the other belt and then guess what, you are broke down. Not gonna happen in your driveway I can tell you that. If you only hear the noise when a/c is on, then you are there. Show her with the belt on and then take the belt off and show her.
I am going to make a video of it since I am the only one that leaves the house at this time. Plus she knows I need this truck to be working when I they tell us you have to be back at the office before the quarantine. Plus I am sure she will want her AC when we go to Arizona to visit family in September.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone recommend and vacuum pumps to recharge the system after I replace the compressor and any recommended compressors besides oem? Any other parts that I should change when the system is evacuated?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had said earlier that the accumulator and orifice need replaced and flush the system. When you go looking up parts you will need to make sure you select for what you have. You have not said if you have separate controls for rear a/c and things like that, that will make a difference in parts.

Years ago, in KC, Mo., I did a lot of R12 a/c work and I had a vacuum pump then but no more. Mostly complete a/c evac and recharge machines out there now. You can just do the work and let a shop evac and recharge. You can also ask them if they will reclaim the refrigerant for you and hold in machine till you do the parts. Or you could go rogue and just open the system but that isn't kosher.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had said earlier that the accumulator and orifice need replaced and flush the system. When you go looking up parts you will need to make sure you select for what you have. You have not said if you have separate controls for rear a/c and things like that, that will make a difference in parts.

Years ago, in KC, Mo., I did a lot of R12 a/c work and I had a vacuum pump then but no more. Mostly complete a/c evac and recharge machines out there now. You can just do the work and let a shop evac and recharge. You can also ask them if they will reclaim the refrigerant for you and hold in machine till you do the parts. Or you could go rogue and just open the system but that isn't kosher.

I have separate controls for the ac. I really can’t use a shop based on my work and living situation. I commute 50 miles to work in the next town over and I can’t only wrench on the weekends on the property manager isn’t at my complex because we can’t wrench on rigs as it’s against the complex rules.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I could have the local shop evacuate it on Friday, get up early on Saturday and replace everything and the. Go over to the local shop to get it refilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879