2003 Tahoe windshield wiper issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcorbitt52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the intermittent wipers are on for 10 minutes or so, they start doing a little stutter-step at the start of the return sweep. This problem has gotten progressively worse over the last 6 months. If I switch them over to the "regular cycle" they will be okay for a while, but them start to act real flaky. Is this a clear issue with the wiper motor? I thought I should ask if there could be another culprit that I need to check out first, before I replace the motor. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Mike

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the intermittent wipers are on for 10 minutes or so, they start doing a little stutter-step at the start of the return sweep. This problem has gotten progressively worse over the last 6 months. If I switch them over to the "regular cycle" they will be okay for a while, but them start to act real flaky. Is this a clear issue with the wiper motor? I thought I should ask if there could be another culprit that I need to check out first, before I replace the motor. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Mike

Did you figure this out? Was it the motor or the switch or something else?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Guess is linkage is loose under cowl from previous Wiper motor swap or wear.

OP
OP
M

mcorbitt52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you figure this out? Was it the motor or the switch or something else?
Sorry, I've been off line for a while. It turned out to be the motor; I thought. I replaced it with one from NAPA in July and tested to insure all settings worked appropriately. I don't drive the Tahoe much and summers in July are typically dry. Today we had a little shower. At first the wipers worked fine in all settings. Once in the "regular" setting I was unable to shut them off. Regular and fast settings both work, but all intermittent settings simply ran as the regular continuous setting. Once the ignition switch is turned on the wipers start running. By pulling the 25a fuse, they would remain off in the "off" position, but once turned on they just don't stop. Any thoughts? Switch issue?

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, all the settings work as in changing speeds, but then you can't turn it off. Seems like it has to be inside the control switch. MAybe you can take it apart an look at contacts and such or:

They are not terribly expensive.

OP
OP
M

mcorbitt52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, all the settings work as in changing speeds, but then you can't turn it off. Seems like it has to be inside the control switch. MAybe you can take it apart an look at contacts and such or:

They are not terribly expensive.
The delayed settings do not work as they are supposed to. Any delay setting simply does a continuous sweep.

OP
OP
M

mcorbitt52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ordered a multifunction switch from RockAuto. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan