2003 Denali XL starting issue - catches then immediately dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hacker-Pschorr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been on vacation since my last post, I was trying to get this figured out before leaving town.

Now back at it, may have found something. Here is a video on YouTube, same problem. I took my steering cover off and unplugged it and I'm able to re-create the problem.

I think the smoking gun is the security light flashing when it doesn't want to start. I don't see how any other sensor (crank / cam etc..) would cause that to flash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSApoE5tUtQ

[yt]XSApoE5tUtQ[/yt]

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Now when it starts (after re-connecting the wire shown in the above video) the security light stays on.

I do not recall that being on before, I thought I was watching for anything different but may have missed it with the frustration of the running issue.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I attempted to do the security reset (leaving the key on for 10 minutes, off for 30 seconds, then back on for 10 minutes - 3 or 4 times) and I killed the battery.

All the starting / stopping last week didn't help.

Good news, already have a brand new interstate battery on the shelf for the Denali. Installed that, put it on the charger to make sure it's 100% before jumping back into this.

OP
OP
H

Hacker-Pschorr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update (better late than never).

I "discovered" my Denali has a remote start system installed (did not come with the key fob).

The modules are above the brake pedal, not really secured to anything.

I found the security module dangling and hitting the upper part of the brake pedal and the connector was not fully seated.

After reconnecting it, securing it so it cannot move or hit anything...... almost a year later with no issues.

crazyikon86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vats system can do this. pull codes and see if cam or crank codes or fuel enable code is there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts