2003 Chevy Tahoe- Autoride Air shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve decided on a 2 or 3” lift kit for the Tahoe. Question is, the rear shocks have that annoying automatic air ride. Anyone have this on their rig? If so, solutions/recommendations on keeping/modifying, or deleting and upgrading to something different? Thanks!

Reaction score
Are you buying a leveling kit or a kit with a new steering knuckle and all that? I call the kit with new keys a leveling kit, and a kit with a new knuckle and associated steering geometry considerations a suspension lift.

At any rate, a lot of those leveling kits come with the option to include new shocks and struts. So if you bought a kit then you could remove the old AutoRide shocks/struts and just install your new ones. That however will cause a code in your instrument cluster. You could pull the fuse for it or disconnect the power to the Autoride computer. I included a link to this guy's video who did just that. There's also aftermarket solutions where you could buy resistors to plug in at each wheel if you plan to sell the vehicle later and want to put it back to stock.

Hope this helps.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you buying a leveling kit or a kit with a new steering knuckle and all that? I call the kit with new keys a leveling kit, and a kit with a new knuckle and associated steering geometry considerations a suspension lift.

At any rate, a lot of those leveling kits come with the option to include new shocks and struts. So if you bought a kit then you could remove the old AutoRide shocks/struts and just install your new ones. That however will cause a code in your instrument cluster. You could pull the fuse for it or disconnect the power to the Autoride computer. I included a link to this guy's video who did just that. There's also aftermarket solutions where you could buy resistors to plug in at each wheel if you plan to sell the vehicle later and want to put it back to stock.

Hope this helps.

I like the video. That's a cool option that allows for other electrical add ons that are key controlled and fused.

Reaction score
Ah yes, z55 package.
I installed bilstein 5100's all around.
Is connect battery and pull fuse for "ride control"
Hook battery back up and go for it! You won't get the DIC light ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu