2002 Yukon Denali - considering buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kingjay239

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi y’all. So I’m considering purchasing a 2002 Yukon Denali with 120k miles. It’s a beautiful truck silver, seems to have most of the bells and whistles available for that year, except for a few things. Interior is in ok condition. The leather seats have some wear here and there, expected for a 15+ year old truck. I’m pretty much in love with it already lol. Will post some pics of it once the deal goes through. The guy selling it to me is a friend of the family so he says I’m getting a pretty decent deal for $2,500. What do y’all think? Has a few details that need to be fixed. For example the the radio and the screen on the dashboard that shows all the vehicle info doesn’t light up only if the key is turned to accessories. The AC blows out ice cold, but for some reason it doesn’t blow out through the front vents at times only through the vents by the windshield, one of the fog lights is out, also noticed that at night one of the low beams doesn’t seem to extend out as much as the other, could be an aiming issue? Or possibly needs a new light? It’s also missing the shade cover for the sun roof, wondering if that’s an easy fix. But Other than that the truck runs great. Now I’ve had a 1999 Chevy Tahoe back in like 2005 or so, loved it, but my brother crashed it into a light post totaling the truck, and last year I had a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT fully loaded with 81k miles. Ended up selling it because I didn’t need it anymore. I know that the Yukon Denali is almost like an Escalade I guess, so therefore it’s more luxurious? Other than that what are the major differences between a Tahoe/Yukon and a Yukon Denali? So I was just wondering, do you guys think I should go for it? It has a clean title all the service records and etc. I’m super excited about it but don’t want to get to excited just in case lol. Also could anybody tell me what are the yearly differences from when they first started making these denalis all the way up until the end? Interior and exterior wise? And could all those issues with it be simple fixes or is the guy asking to much for what’s wrong with it? Will update the post with more info later because this site is acting a bit wacky on my phone lol. Thanks y’all for any info y’all could give me.

0E68BF2D-30BB-47A6-A61A-D53047483DAA.jpeg 012264E9-8E5B-4F0F-BD28-83B8000B1F92.jpeg 03946E35-860D-4846-86F9-9FB1FAFD5963.jpeg FD25638E-4379-4619-B6E3-F4DF5C06A676.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from another Denali owner!
120k on a 2002 is super low mileage! That’s a score! my Denali is four years newer and has more miles than that... but that’s because I drive... ALOT! Lol at any rate the Denali is a really nice rig. It’ll most likely have the 6.0L vortec V8 which is a fantastic motor. In stock form in the standard wheel base version it’s pretty powerful and quick on its feet. The 6.0 is pretty easy to work on and not a lot goes wrong with it.It’s an AWD suv so that’s different than the tahoe and non Denali Yukon. The AWD system is pretty capable. I get snow 4-5 months out of the year where I live, and I travel from here up to the base of the Sierra Nevada mountain range for snowboarding trips where there’s a lot more snow than what I get at home, and haven’t met a scenario yet in which I’ve gotten stuck not having 4WD. My AWD system has gotten me through it all. The AWD differentials in the 2002s were a bit different from the 2003-2006 SUVs and from what I’ve heard about more sturdy longevity wise so that’s a big plus! Leather seats on these trucks are really easy to recover. The cluster could be a number of things, but I’ve seen where the headlight control switch was bad, and it caused cluster lights and backlighting to do odd things and not light up when they should. That could be a potential place to start on diagnosing the cluster and radio screen lighting.
For $2500 those things are easy to fix!!
There are some differences in the first couple years of the GMT800 platform to the end of the run which is 1999-2006 for the pickups and 2000-2006 on the SUVs. The interior changed completely in all of them in 2003 with a refreshed interior and a change from an analog electrical system to a digital electrical system. Only minor mechanical changes through the years. Although the 2000-2004 SUVs and pickups had one large clutch driven cooling fan assembly. The 2005 and 2006 vehicles saw an upgrade to an electrically driven cooling fan system with two slightly smaller fans instead of one. So a bit better cooling system. That modification can be done to the pre 2005 SUVs and has been well documented here. Exterior wise they all mostly looked the same. The 2005 and 2006 rigs got a slightly different rear hatch glass design.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also from the photos you posted it looks like the drivers side headlight is aimed way too far down to the ground and the other side is a bit more level. Headlights being incorrectly aimed could be causing the issue you mentioned where one seems to cutoff. That’s also a fairly easy fix. The headlights on these rigs are super easy to work on. The mounting pins are right there when you lift the hood up and the adjustment pins are right there as well so it’s pretty easy to reaim them!

OP
OP
K

Kingjay239

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from another Denali owner!
120k on a 2002 is super low mileage! That’s a score! my Denali is four years newer and has more miles than that... but that’s because I drive... ALOT! Lol at any rate the Denali is a really nice rig. It’ll most likely have the 6.0L vortec V8 which is a fantastic motor. In stock form in the standard wheel base version it’s pretty powerful and quick on its feet. The 6.0 is pretty easy to work on and not a lot goes wrong with it.It’s an AWD suv so that’s different than the tahoe and non Denali Yukon. The AWD system is pretty capable. I get snow 4-5 months out of the year where I live, and I travel from here up to the base of the Sierra Nevada mountain range for snowboarding trips where there’s a lot more snow than what I get at home, and haven’t met a scenario yet in which I’ve gotten stuck not having 4WD. My AWD system has gotten me through it all. The AWD differentials in the 2002s were a bit different from the 2003-2006 SUVs and from what I’ve heard about more sturdy longevity wise so that’s a big plus! Leather seats on these trucks are really easy to recover. The cluster could be a number of things, but I’ve seen where the headlight control switch was bad, and it caused cluster lights and backlighting to do odd things and not light up when they should. That could be a potential place to start on diagnosing the cluster and radio screen lighting.
For $2500 those things are easy to fix!!
There are some differences in the first couple years of the GMT800 platform to the end of the run which is 1999-2006 for the pickups and 2000-2006 on the SUVs. The interior changed completely in all of them in 2003 with a refreshed interior and a change from an analog electrical system to a digital electrical system. Only minor mechanical changes through the years. Although the 2000-2004 SUVs and pickups had one large clutch driven cooling fan assembly. The 2005 and 2006 vehicles saw an upgrade to an electrically driven cooling fan system with two slightly smaller fans instead of one. So a bit better cooling system. That modification can be done to the pre 2005 SUVs and has been well documented here. Exterior wise they all mostly looked the same. The 2005 and 2006 rigs got a slightly different rear hatch glass design.

Omg, man thank you so much! And thank you for all this information, and you definitely made me even more excited and assured about buying it. So you’re is a 2006? That was the last year before they changed them to the next gen ones right? I like those too, but hate how they removed the projector headlights. Makes no damn sense to me lol. Thankfully my cousin is a mechanic so he’s going to come over tomorrow and check it out for me and let me know what all needs to be fixed, him and the guy selling it to me are actually coworkers at a mechanic shop, and he said that the truck is in great mechanical condition and engine and tranny have been kept up with and have no issues at all what so ever. So going by your information. In 2003 they refreshed the interior then? That’s always my luck lol, I always get my cars a year model before they do a refresh on them haha. Happened to me with my 1999 Cadillac STS and my 2007 Cadillac STS. APPARENTLY for the 1999 sts during the year of 2000 they slightly updated them, and for the 2007 STS they completely refreshed them exterior wise and interior wise, gave them a different grill etc. also had a 2012 Malibu and after 2013 they changed to a newer model haha. My mom had a 2004 Trailblazer LT and apparently after 2005 they also refreshed them lol. I’m glad for the Denali it’s not major changes to the exterior. Other than I guess after 2003 they added dual climate control? And Nav?. Which brings me to another question. Would it be possible to install a factory navigation screen on this one? Or would I have to modify it a lot? Same thing for dual climate control. I’m sure it’s not just plug and play? I’d love to install a navigation screen but only if it’s factory, not a huge fan of aftermarket touch screens lol. Again thank you for all your information.

Also from the photos you posted it looks like the drivers side headlight is aimed way too far down to the ground and the other side is a bit more level. Headlights being incorrectly aimed could be causing the issue you mentioned where one seems to cutoff. That’s also a fairly easy fix. The headlights on these rigs are super easy to work on. The mounting pins are right there when you lift the hood up and the adjustment pins are right there as well so it’s pretty easy to reaim them!

Oh wow, thanks for noticing that. I honestly didn’t catch that until you pointed it out and I can totally see what you mean. I also noticed that the GMC letters are blue, wondering if they painted them or if it’s a custom grill. It looks pretty factory other than the color. Another thing that I’ve seen other Denalis have Is the chrome around the headlights are body color, is that another thing that they changed after a certain year model, or does it depend on if it’s a base model or a higher model? Also would it be possible and easy to install HIDs? And if so would you be able to recommend a good set of them. One thing I love about the Denali is that they have projector headlights and it makes them perfect to installing a good set of HIDs I like the color and style that the Escalades have, not too blue but definitely not yellow. So far I’ve noticed that my potential Denali has regular halogen bulbs I believe. But definitely want to upgrade to HIDs, but hopefully it’s easy and just plug and play. Super happy that messing with the headlights doesn’t require some stupid and unnecessary crap for once lol. The 2007 Cadillac STS and 2012 Malibu that I had required you to remove the whole damn front fascia and it was super annoying because I’m literally mechanically illiterate lol and so I used to have to take them in for service for a simple bad light bulb which in turn I’d have to pay over $200 for a $30 light bulb lol. So that’s super refreshing to finally have lol. Can I also add the side view mirrors that come with the turn signal or does it require extra modifications as well as power folding mirrors? Were those options added to them after a certain year? Omg I’m so Sorry for these long ass post and multiple questions lol. Just super excited about finally driving this sexay babehh lol, and I’ve always wanted one of these trucks ever since I was a little kid, so for to be able to finally own and drive one is a dream come true. I swear these trucks definitely stood the test of time and look just as beautiful as they did when new. I loved the 2001 Chevy Tahoe that I had. Even tho it was an almost 20 year old truck it drove so smooth and the interior was so comfortable and clean. I’ve been doing my research and searching the site, but it’s a pain doing so on mobile lol.

If you dont buy it, tell me where it is and I will.

Haha, oh I think I’m definitely going to buy it, but if I change my mind and you don’t mind coming to SWFL I’ll definitely see into that haha.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine is a 2006. Last year of the GMT800 platform. The chrome pieces around the headlights being painted is not factory. All the GMT800 Denalis came with chrome from the factory. If you’re seeing on with painted it’s an aftermarket job. Mine is painted. Did the whole surround piece and left the center honeycomb around the gmc logo chrome. It looks good and not a terribly difficult job to do. The factory Denali headlights are a prime setup for a retrofit. The stock projector won’t take an HID, you’d have to retrofit in a better projector for that. There’s major threads here on that and many guys who have done that who can chime in. As the the nav screen question, nav was an option in 2004, but it’s very outdated. My truck had the factory touch screen nav for 2006 when I bought and it was terrible. If you want nav, your best bet is to get a good quality aftermarket double din head unit. That’s what I did for my truck. Plus I wanted Bluetooth and a backup camera and now I have all those options. There are a lot of quality aftermarket headunits out there for these trucks. It is possible to add power folding turn signal mirrors to the 2002 but it takes some work. I know there’s also several thread son that topic that I’ve seen.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Even with the issues you listed, I think that is a fantastic deal. I wouldn't even hesitate as long as it seems to run and drive good. My biggest worry would be that someone else would swoop in and purchase it before I could get to the bank lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts