2002 Suburban Brake Issues after part replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhcram1969

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have 2002 Suburban. I rebuilt essentially the entire truck last summer/fall. It had a new master cylinder put in just before I did the rebuild. It has all new brake lines, new calipers at all 4 corners, new pads, rotors.

For some reason I can not get the front brakes to function. Only a tiny amount of contact on the outside of the rotor and the inside is not contacting pads at all. So I am essentially running on rear brakes which is sketchy.

I have bled the ABS unit with a scan tool dozens of times and all the lines to all 4 corners. I just re-bled the master cylinder again but I still have very little pedal pressure and no front brakes unless I push the pedal extremely hard. There is good vacuum to the booster and the 1st half of the pedal push seems like the boost is working. I have looking inside it with a camera and no leaks.

The strangest part was I re-bled the front brakes this weekend and ran probably a pint of fluid thru, the reservoir only needed about 2-3 ounces to refill. So fluid came out but didn't lower the resevoir.

THe only thing that I have not changed is the ABS controller and the vacuum booster. ABS system bleeds and tests out with a scan tool.

Anyone run in to something like this before?

Thanks,

Dan

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you installed the front caliper correctly? They are a "floating" construction and must move freely on their gliders. I would disassemble the front calipers and see if the pistons are moving when you break, then see if the calipers are free to move...

If your wheel is removed and someone step on the break pedal, you should see what happens at the front caliper.

Stupid idea, you removed the plastic plugs at the main cylinder which prevent them from dirt while not assembled?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to your first post at the forum.

Like has been said, sounds like the system still has air in it. Crazy question, have you done brakes on a vehicle before? I ask because brakes are the most important system and are a safety issue. You said, "running on rear brakes, which is sketchy". I personally would not drive on any road till system works properly, at least in the driveway or lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11