2002 5.3 Crank appears to wobble at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OKYukon02

OKYukon02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I won’t just throw one at it, at least not yet. Both of mine have the “wobble”. I just never noticed it until yesterday, one of the motors is literally brand new. Checked with a neighbor down the street, we looked at his 03 Silverado 5.3 and it does it as well. I’m less concerned. Especially being that it goes away the instant revs come up, even as little as 100rpm. Seems like it should get worse? Plus the inner piece runs true. No wobble in relation to the block and the bolt/recess run perfectly smooth and round. Just the outer section appears to wobble. No damage to the rubber at all visually.

Most resources I’ve found, especially on the Corvette forums as this is apparently a massive thing on Vettes, suggest that if you can’t feel any vibrations on the block/front of the oil pan, if you don’t hear a chirp, no other associated noises such as grinding or thumping, there’s no belt wear or alignment issues with the belt it’s normal.

I’ll look at a few more on the used lots tomorrow. I’m much less worried about it now though seeing 3 doing it. I may still throw a balancer at them down the road when life slows down a bit.

Last edited:

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be okay. Now you have me curious and I want to check both my LS trucks but I currently have both motors on engine stands at my mom's.

Batterycap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, and happy Easter if you observe it!

Just picked up another Yukon. Also a 2002 like my first. After taking off the splash shield to change the oil, starting it up and checking to ensure no leak, I noticed the crank pulley appears to “wobble”. I can’t tell if it’s an optical illusion or actually wobbling. And if so, is it normal? My other 2002 does it as well. Never noticed it before, just looked when I noticed this one did it. On both, it disappears immediately if you even rev it 100 RPM off idle.

Runs smooth, no leaks anywhere. No issues with vibrations or anything I can feel as far as harmonics go. No wear on the belts, no squeaking or abnormal wear on any other pulleys. Anyone else seen this? These two are my first 5.3 vehicles. They both do it, one with a brand new motor and the other (in the video) with 125k on it.

Thanks everyone, have a great day!

I have a 2001 Suburban. It wobbles at idle. Here's your answer.
My fuel pump will be replaced in 1 month. My fuel gauge sometimes works, but often goes to zero for what has to be a related reason.

OP
OP
OKYukon02

OKYukon02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Suburban. It wobbles at idle. Here's your answer.
My fuel pump will be replaced in 1 month. My fuel gauge sometimes works, but often goes to zero for what has to be a related reason.
Yeah... not a related issue at all. Both in the fact that the crank pulley isn’t related in any way to the fuel system and in that both vehicles are fine on fuel pressure and have no issues with performance. Turns out it’s just an optical illusion most likely. Painted the pulley and now that the wear and surface rust is gone, no wobble is present.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah... not a related issue at all. Both in the fact that the crank pulley isn’t related in any way to the fuel system and in that both vehicles are fine on fuel pressure and have no issues with performance. Turns out it’s just an optical illusion most likely. Painted the pulley and now that the wear and surface rust is gone, no wobble is present.
I could believe that.

Pscott

Reaction score
My 5.3 had rubber isolation and it had started breaking down, found when doing timing chain I got 218tho on it though

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is from a while ago....
I noticed yesterday that the tensioner pulley for the AC pump was sort of bouncing. I looked and the crank pulley is not true. Should it be? I haven't checked the bolt.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those videos look like the pulley is running true. The rubber is probably in good condition. On my 2006 5.3 the pulley is moving much more and I'm having it replaced. I noticed because the AC tensioner was bouncing. Maybe that is caused by something else. We'll see shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9