2000 Z71 Tahoe Overlander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe Drifter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the group here. First post.
I have a 2000 Z71 Tahoe that I want to use for overlanding & camping. I want to do the eastern portions of the Trans America Trail (TAT). Need to do mild to moderate trails. I've added the rear add-a-leaf and fully cranked the front torsion keys to give her a 1" to 1 1/2" lift. Need to change the shocks now. Was looking at Bilstein 5100s but they're not available for so little lift. My mechanic recommends Rancho 9000s. What do you all think? I'd rather not go back to stock Bilstein 4600s cause I may one day want to put a real 2 to 4" lift on her.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Lots of folks here lift their trucks, so they will chime in with their suggestions and perspectives.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be an equivalent shock for a different model that is the right length. Might be worth some time with their customer service to get you dialed in. GMT400 suspension is not the most aftermarket friendly unfortunately.

TurokMakto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I’m also building an over lander hoe. I actually just installed 5160. Honestly they feel great

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

If the 4600s that you have are in good shape (not leaking, etc.) then I’d probably leave them in place until you get to the final lift. They’re pretty robust shocks, I have three 98s with the 4600s and the torsion bars slightly cranked (probably 1”
height increase without getting crazy CV angles) and they’ve been just fine.

If they’re shot, then you might as well replace them with whatever your budget allows.

Got a picture of the Z71? I’ve always liked those and hardly ever see them anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons