2000 Tahoe..Timing Chain Slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much slack is acceptable in the timing chain. This seems a little sloppy to me. But I'm not sure waht is normal.

2000 Limited, 205K miles. Was going to try and upload a video, but it won't let me. Maybe there is an amount of slack that is acceptable. I seem to have about half an inch or so. I didn't fully measure it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Post a pic, not a video and show the deflection in a pic or two. Half an inch is a lot, IMO. But is that the actual deflection, say right in the middle of the looseness and the outer edge actually moves over 1/2" outside edge to outside edge? If it was mine I would put one on and the gears, if I had that far torn down.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was leaning towards replacing. Just didn't know what is normal. So didn't wasn't to drop the coin on a new set only to find out it's normal.

IMG_20200912_133540.jpg IMG_20200912_133534.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, that is enough to replace it. I would do it but it is your money and I like to spend other people's money. Hell, lots of us do! Post pics of the slack in the new chain and gears. What brand gears and chain are you going to get? That is the 5.7 engine isn't it? I don't see a damper.

I prefer Cloyes or Melling if OE is not available.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, 5.7 Engine. I put a new Melling oil pump in the car, seems good quality. The extra $100 isn't a huge deal, I can justify it by not having a car payment

I'll look to see what I can find for a descent price.

As I mentioned in another post, once I get the engine to stop leaking, will be time for a suspension refresh. I'm trying to extend the life of the truck so I don't need to get something new.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are two choices of Cloyes and Melling timing chain sets. Read thru at RA to see which one is needed. They were all at around $50 or less and can look at Amazon and get with free shipping. When you put back together, make sure all is clean, especially the gasket surfaces.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another follow up. I ordered Cloyes kit 91157. It is for the 5.7 Vortec. But the sprocket for the crank has 3 keyways. I only see one key on my crank. Is this for added adjustment if someone is tuning? Or should I be getting a different kit? When I read the applications, and the questions asked/answered on a couple of websites, it stated this was the correct application, but now I"m second guessing.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you find the timing marks on the sprockets? Overthinking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645